Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

Im sure most of you are aware of the LR2 battery drain that a lot of owners are experiencing.

I was wondering, to avoid having a drained battery when i get back from my vacation, i thought i might disconnect the battery in the airport car park, this will avoid the battery drain.

BUT, will i cause another issue when i get back? I thought i could manually lock the drivers door after the battery has been disconnected, then on my return, simply open the door old school, pop the hood, re-conect the battery and off i go!

Or, is there something i am missing here.

Thanks for your valid input.

Cozzer :smile

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Hi All.

Im sure most of you are aware of the LR2 battery drain that a lot of owners are experiencing.

I was wondering, to avoid having a drained battery when i get back from my vacation, i thought i might disconnect the battery in the airport car park, this will avoid the battery drain.

BUT, will i cause another issue when i get back? I thought i could manually lock the drivers door after the battery has been disconnected, then on my return, simply open the door old school, pop the hood, re-conect the battery and off i go!

Or, is there something i am missing here.

Thanks for your valid input.

Cozzer :smile
You'll be much better off using a battery maintainer rather than disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I came back from 10 day vacation to find mine dead (with a 4 month old battery) took it to dealer and they SWEAR that despite me having to jump it 8 times and make three attempts to start it every time for two weeks that the battery is "fine" (they don't want to do a warranty replacement). In any event, they finally decided to do a software update even though it was "just for vehicles with in-dash Nav." It seems to be starting OK now, but I'm unsure if the battery just recovered or they actually fixed something. My dash clock now displays 12-hour time, so the update did something.

·
2008 LR2 SE
67 Posts
The cars with the in-dash nav or bluetooth were known to have a battery drain issue. Basically if the nav was doing something or the BT was connected to a call, those devices would remain on after they vehicle was off and apparently keep using power until the battery drained. Mine has neither nav or BT and have never had an issue.

Glad to hear they have a software fix for that.

Regarding a battery disconnect...these vehicles originally had a problem with the computer not allowing a start after having the battery disconnected, even for a few moments (may have been a security feature). You would have to tow it to the dealer to get it reset. My understanding is that there was a software fix, so hopefully if your car has been to the dealer occasionally it will be up-to-date. But if you're going to do it, I'd test it first in a time and place where it would not be a huge nuisance if it failed to start.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

·
2008 LR2 SE
67 Posts
Also you can buy a battery disconnect switch which attaches to the battery post so you don't have to fool with tools to connect/disconnect the cable. I use these on my RV and hobby vehicles, the battery will last for many months disconnected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.