Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96' Discovery and I'm thinking of replacing the stock exhaust. I've found Borla and NRP. Does anyone have either of these systems installed and what do they sound like? I've heard that the Borla is kind of loud. I don't want to end up with something that will drone at highway speeds. Right now I only have the stock center muffler in place because my rear resonator rusted through and was rattling so I had it removed. I've also thought of replacing the center(main) muffler with a Ravin muffler from Midas. It is supposed to be similar to a Flowmaster but with a more mellow sound.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Borla exhaust sounds

Rover Ash, on my 95 Disco (4.6) 5-speed i installed Borla cat back, it sounds like a 60's 289 Mustang with glasspacks. At 21-2,400 rpm theres a drone thats a pain, right at highway cruise zone. Above 2,400 quiet as stock. I'm going to install a stainless steel glasspack style resonator at the rear. It does sound great going thru the gears i might add. If i did it over i'd use a different muffler. Good luck, Carl..............................o&o>.................................

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just installed the NRP rear pipe on my Range Rover 4.2. I believe its the same unit as the Discovery I. Before this I was runing just the main muffler of the stock system which was quite loud without the resonator. the NRP is really a high quality piece of piping and produces a powerful yet subtle exhaust note that is almost as quiet as stock. I open my rear windows on the highway and the sound is very pleasing to listen to. not too loud and no annoying pitches or drones. If you can spare the expense, I'd definately go with the NRP. Plus it will most likely outlast every other piece on the truck. The instructions made it quite easy to fit. The hardest part is removing the old stock system. If you have stock springs, you'll need to jack the truck up so the axle drops down about 3 inches or so. I've also noticed fuel mileage gains of as much as 1 mpg with the NRP. Just a side note, if you care about the looks, keep the the exhaust tip clean otherwise water deposits will burn on and leave an ugly brownish buildup that is nearly impossible to remove. Hope this helps.

·
100 quids for a days work son..
240 Posts
88 Rover with punched out cats on the front 2 and totally took the rear one off leading to the stock muffler. love the sound and revs a bit easy now, the intake without the snorkel / K&N filter compliments the little 3.5 Rover growl ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts