Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok then, original owner here, and it looks like I need to do my drivers door window regulator...again. This will be number 4, and I hardly ever use the bloody window lifts anymore anyway. Is there a trick? Tribal knowledge? What is the deal here?

· Registered
720 Posts
It seems to me that you have a few options: Keep buying new parts; repair a few of your old broken ones; replace the window lifts with a new after market system and finally convert to a hand crank system. Oh yes, you could leave it broken; perhaps even get a different vehicle.
Years ago, I looked into changing over to hand cranks which I believe are available for the front doors not the rear (forget the details now). But, it would be better to fix your old regulator... have you taken one apart to see what's wrong?

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't taken it apart to see the exact issue, it wouldn't come down at first like I was pressing the up button, then when it did start to come down it jerked down a few inches, I stopped straight away and put it back up but it popped into the channel like it was out of alignment. It stays there until a new one is on hand.

There are aftermarket options? I take the aftermarket two ways, either for ways to personalize your vehicle into something more interesting or for ways to be cheap and put questionable quality items into your vehicle and hope they last. I rarely dip into the aftermarket for the latter...I go factory stuff when it's important like mechanical stuff and these window lifts. However, there are exceptions to every rule so if there's really an aftermarket system out there that's better and works (manual window cranks and getting another vehicle options are out, I am after all, an original owner) I'm all ears. Otherwise it gets factory bits one last time and left in the up position, permanently.

· Registered
720 Posts
When we had one window failure about 13 years ago, the service manager at the dealer warned me not to allow the windows to go all the way up or down. He suggested to let off the switch just before the window 'hit' the end of its run. We've followed his advice to the letter and haven't had a failure since. We bought the vehicle new in 1996.
There's no doubt in my mind that the factory window system in these vehicles is substandard. If another one fails, I'll certainly look for an after-market replacement.

· Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like the plastic rollers on the regulator have broken. Very common issue. When you replace it next time put heavy duty lithium grease on the rollers and tracks. This will keep them rolling smooth and protect them from cracking.

· Registered
106 Posts
To that end, I often wonder if changing the rollers would make them reliable. I've been tempted to buy rollers from the drawer hardware section and try them. I've got three sets of regulators lying around and not a single one had a burned motor. All failed because of the rollers.
Anybody tried this?

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
There's someone over on Land Rover Forums who has used a 3D printer to make replacement rollers that are in two pieces and clip together. Repair is done in seconds. A set of three rollers is around $12 including shipping. That sounds like a pretty ingenious fix for these regulators.

I don't know what the reason was, but mid 1995 Land Rover changed to these weak regulators, abandoning the units they had successfully used for many years in the RRC and DI. I can't keep mid '95-'04 regulators in stock thanks to the decision. Meanwhile, I can't get rid of all the bulletproof regulators they originally used in the DI and RRC.

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
How do you like that, I just mention the person on Land Rover Forums offering the 3D printer rollers when, lo and behold, lowbidder (the creator of the rollers) is posting about them on the DII forum. Take a look at what he's got. I'd pick up spares just to have on hand in case of an emergency.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.