Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Discovery 1 Window regulator options

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul Grant 
It seems to me that you have a few options: Keep buying new parts; repair a few of your old broken ones; replace the window lifts with a new after market system and finally convert to a hand crank system. Oh yes, you could leave it broken; perhaps even get a different vehicle.
Years ago, I looked into changing over to hand cranks which I believe are available for the front doors not the rear (forget the details now). But, it would be better to fix your old regulator... have you taken one apart to see what's wrong?

When we had one window failure about 13 years ago, the service manager at the dealer warned me not to allow the windows to go all the way up or down. He suggested to let off the switch just before the window 'hit' the end of its run. We've followed his advice to the letter and haven't had a failure since. We bought the vehicle new in 1996.
There's no doubt in my mind that the factory window system in these vehicles is substandard. If another one fails, I'll certainly look for an after-market replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.