Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have LR Discovery 2, 1999, V8, 4.0

I would like to add an additional automatic transmission cooler.

With long climbs in the mountains automatic gearbox heats up a lot.

Did any of you add extra cooler to the automatic transmission?

Regards
Mike Mat

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Are you sure that not the sensor is making tricks? quite common so better fit a new sensor first and off course new oil and filter if they were not changed recently cos old oil will rise the temp as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure the sensor is fine, it works well.

I have a second sensor that is connected to the oil line. This sensor measures the temperature to an accuracy of 0.1 degree. This sensor indicates the exact oil temperature at AT. I try not to exceed 105 degrees Celsius.

I have never lit the AT temperature light.

I often change the oil, last around 2000 km ago.

AT overheats at high temperatures above 35 degrees in summer and on long climbs.

I was changed engine cooling. I have replaced the thermostat with 82 degrees Celsius instead of the old 88 degrees.

·
very disco
663 Posts
have you fitted larger tires? are you sure the proper fluid is used?

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
If bigger tyres are fitted then oveheating is quite normal

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@sierrafery - thank you for link to allisport - have yo got some experiences with that cooler?

I'm understand perfectly, D2 v8 has got 4 coolers:

• fluid cooler - AC - first one
  • oil cooler - engine - second line, down position
  • oil cooler - AT - second line, top position
  • fluid cooler - engine - third line

It's very HOT place in the engine bay.

I'm changed fan before AC cooler, now i've got fan about 50% more effective than old one. New fan it's water resistant + i can turn it on with button in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
The AT cooler should be at the bottom, i dont have personal experience with the uprated cooler i just knew there is one which is better and direct fit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was found interesting discussion here:

Allisport cooler - it's good choice, i'll buy and install in my truck.

One thing is very interesting.
They wrote to use CASTROL TRANSMAX Z OIL. I wonder if it can really lower the temperature of the oil so much. Apparently it can lower the temperature by up to 20 degrees Celsius.

What you think about that?

·
very disco
663 Posts
One thing is very interesting.
They wrote to use CASTROL TRANSMAX Z OIL. I wonder if it can really lower the temperature of the oil so much. Apparently it can lower the temperature by up to 20 degrees Celsius.
I would love to know if this is true! I find that if there's a product truly capable of doing amazing things, it's called for all the time on every job... not hiding in the shadows waiting to be discovered. If you try it, please report back!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would love to know if this is true! I find that if there's a product truly capable of doing amazing things, it's called for all the time on every job... not hiding in the shadows waiting to be discovered. If you try it, please report back!
I think, you're right. Good marketing making this story...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts