Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick note here on replacing a broken Land Rover Discovery 2 Bosch engine Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) connector/fitting. There are a few other posts about this, so here is my take on the problem/solution.

While replacing my D2’s cooling system recently I barely touched the PCV hose running from the upper air intake manifold and the passenger side valve cover, thus shearing clean off the PCV fitting where it threads in. [Over time, the plastic fitting becomes hardened by heat and snaps like a stale candy cane simply by looking at it; I barely touched that hose!]

At first, I thought no problem. I will simply use an extractor to remove it, but the extractor expanded the fitting's plastic further outward into the aluminum intake threads, rather than my hope if unscrewing it - the threads were heat bonded from time. I found another post were the prescribed fix was to enter from the opposite side of the intake manifold using a long bit to drill it out. Although that worked for that user, I did not want to get inside there for fear anything could fall into the motor. The solution I used, which I found easy, was to apply my heat gun to the stuck remnant and slowly twist it out aided by a small set of needle nose pliers.

Now, there are other posts that suggest sourcing a cheaper and stronger brass fitting, since the OE plastic replacement is overpriced at $25 - $30 online, but I also considered the brass fitting being stronger than the aluminum it screws into. You see, when I sheared mine off, it also broke a small portion of the aluminum flange with the threads. I still had enough threads to use, so no big deal; it is a vacuum connection, not a pressure fitting. If it breaks again years from now, I want the plastic to break rather than additional aluminum since aluminum is weaker than brass. Right?

Just my thoughts.

·
Expert Crate Digger
290 Posts
Since you have it out, go buy a proper metal PCV valve to replace the plastic one... AKA "The 'Best4x4' Mod".
Try and find any of these part numbers… #V288, FRAM #FV308, NAPA #CRB29380, Sankei #KP111, Purolator #PV1027, or Beck Arnley #045-0264.

Also.. totally remove the black plastic PCV fitting in the rocker cover and throw it away since you will have the metal PCV installed in the intake manifold.

·
Drives like an old man
416 Posts
Yep, what Mike said. I did this and the oil leaks stopped. Finally, some real crankcase ventilation going on!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Duralast PCV147DL as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since you have it out, go buy a proper metal PCV valve to replace the plastic one... AKA "The 'Best4x4' Mod".
Try and find any of these part numbers… #V288, FRAM #FV308, NAPA #CRB29380, Sankei #KP111, Purolator #PV1027, or Beck Arnley #045-0264.

Also.. totally remove the black plastic PCV fitting in the rocker cover and throw it away since you will have the metal PCV installed in the intake manifold.

Hi guys. Sorry to rehash an older thread. I’ve tried to find and such but no luck.

I wanted to do this before a road trip tomorrow. No one of course In my city has those valves but the guy at auto zone has this one and said it’s comparable. Would this valve work?

so the process would be to replace the plastic nosel with this one and then do I need to clamp it ?

then the last part is to remove the oil
Separator and leave it out

I for the life of me cannot find it and also confused when Mike said to remove the plastic pcv around rocket? That would be the third step.

here is my view of engine, if anyone can perhaps circle where that oil separator pin i’d appreciate. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The oil separator is inside the hose on the passenger side valve cover, left side of your image. If you have an 03/04 you need to remove the tube.

1. remove the hose
  2. tons of penetrating oil at the base of the tube
  3. Warm your engine all the up
  4. Hose off
  5. A narrow set of vice grips and ONLY at the VERY TOP clamp and gently twist - you will see where to clamp
  6. Repeat until it twists then apply upward pressure while twisting it will come out
  7. Remove the separator and put the tube back in place, a gentle tap or 2 might be need to seat it fully

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Richard. Appreciate the help.
I have a 2000.

After step 7 when I reapply the hose, should I use this new valve I bought at autozone ( ps it has a rattle part inside) not sure if that is correct or ok to have.

Or I should reuse the plastic part that is in it now ?

and the oil separator is under this clamp in red circle? So just undo , take out separator and then clamp back up?

if I’m to use the new valve, do I need to attach a silicone or something to end part that screws into engine?

ty for help.

·
Super Moderator
2,225 Posts
Yes you’re on the right track 👍yes oil separator is where you indicated in red (inside the valve cover tube.
A little bit of thread sealant or even plumbers thread tape would not hurt when you install the new p.c.v valve
And yes it should rattle 😉

Reactions: garrettml

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes you’re on the right track 👍yes oil separator is where you indicated in red (inside the valve cover tube.
A little bit of thread sealant or even plumbers thread tape would not hurt when you install the new p.c.v valve
And yes it should rattle 😉
thank you and One last stupid question. :)

May I ask the reasoning for the new valve instead of the plastic one that’s on there now?

does the new valve provide better air flow etc than the plastic one? Jw.
Ty again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thank you and One last stupid question. :)

May I ask the reasoning for the new valve instead of the plastic one that’s on there now?

does the new valve provide better air flow etc than the plastic one? Jw.
Ty again.
sorry. Nm. I see why the op used a pcv valve.
If my plastic one is still good, May I ask if you suggest I keep using it or swap it for this pcv I purchased? Ty.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Swap it , the plastic will get clogged at some point and every time you take it out you chance it breaking apart. The PCV does the same basic thing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I did this with the metal one from autozone. Was not aware Disco Mike said to take out the honey stick on the passenger side. Will do so asap.

If you have the metal, much better. Too much plastic getting brittle in the engine bay with these.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did this with the metal one from autozone. Was not aware Disco Mike said to take out the honey stick on the passenger side.
Congratulations to JUKE179r, who's apparently the reincarnation of Disco Mike! ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Man I am 0 for 2, that means beer time.

Enjoy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts