Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick note here on replacing a broken Land Rover Discovery 2 Bosch engine Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) connector/fitting. There are a few other posts about this, so here is my take on the problem/solution.

While replacing my D2’s cooling system recently I barely touched the PCV hose running from the upper air intake manifold and the passenger side valve cover, thus shearing clean off the PCV fitting where it threads in. [Over time, the plastic fitting becomes hardened by heat and snaps like a stale candy cane simply by looking at it; I barely touched that hose!]

At first, I thought no problem. I will simply use an extractor to remove it, but the extractor expanded the fitting's plastic further outward into the aluminum intake threads, rather than my hope if unscrewing it - the threads were heat bonded from time. I found another post were the prescribed fix was to enter from the opposite side of the intake manifold using a long bit to drill it out. Although that worked for that user, I did not want to get inside there for fear anything could fall into the motor. The solution I used, which I found easy, was to apply my heat gun to the stuck remnant and slowly twist it out aided by a small set of needle nose pliers.

Now, there are other posts that suggest sourcing a cheaper and stronger brass fitting, since the OE plastic replacement is overpriced at $25 - $30 online, but I also considered the brass fitting being stronger than the aluminum it screws into. You see, when I sheared mine off, it also broke a small portion of the aluminum flange with the threads. I still had enough threads to use, so no big deal; it is a vacuum connection, not a pressure fitting. If it breaks again years from now, I want the plastic to break rather than additional aluminum since aluminum is weaker than brass. Right?

Just my thoughts.

·
Expert Crate Digger
232 Posts
Since you have it out, go buy a proper metal PCV valve to replace the plastic one... AKA "The 'Best4x4' Mod".
Try and find any of these part numbers… #V288, FRAM #FV308, NAPA #CRB29380, Sankei #KP111, Purolator #PV1027, or Beck Arnley #045-0264.

Also.. totally remove the black plastic PCV fitting in the rocker cover and throw it away since you will have the metal PCV installed in the intake manifold.

·
Drives like an old man
403 Posts
Yep, what Mike said. I did this and the oil leaks stopped. Finally, some real crankcase ventilation going on!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts