Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all

I have two noises and another separate quirk that I am trying to identify in my Discovery 2 TD5 (1999) with an auto box;

1 - When moving off from the stationary, there is a distinct "hiss" which is related to the throttle and throttle use. If moving off from stationary, it will last about 1-2 seconds and then disappear. It won't come back unless I idle and lose speed, and then use the throttle again - when it will briefly (less than a second) re-appear, or if I go back to a full stop and start off again. Should it do this? My 300 Tdi never made this turbo hiss type noise!

2 - When moving at low speed and higher torque, i.e. moving up a hill slowly, there is a rattle coming from underneath the car. It only happens between 1750 & 2500 revs, and only at low speeds. It does happen in the same rev range on the flat, but is less noisy. It dissipates largely when the car is very warm, and has been running for 30 minutes or longer. Any ideas?

3 - Just a niggle - she can sometimes be slow to change up properly to 4th gear. She should move upto 4th at about 55mph, and will should drop down to about 2,000 revs. However, whilst she is cold, she will change up, but the revs only drop down to just below 3,000 revs. It can take anything between 10 - 25 minutes before she is warm enough to fully drop down in revs at 55-60mph. Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone kind enough to reply.

Richard
 

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
Joined
·
3,205 Posts
rjsdavis said:
I have two noises and another separate quirk that I am trying to identify in my Discovery 2 TD5 (1999) with an auto box;
First of all, TD5? I hate you. Secondly.....

rjsdavis said:
2 - When moving at low speed and higher torque, i.e. moving up a hill slowly, there is a rattle coming from underneath the car. It only happens between 1750 & 2500 revs, and only at low speeds. It does happen in the same rev range on the flat, but is less noisy. It dissipates largely when the car is very warm, and has been running for 30 minutes or longer. Any ideas?
Having spent the better part of two weekends under mine.
I'd say check out your drive line. Make sure you don't have a failing U-joint.

rjsdavis said:
3 - Just a niggle - she can sometimes be slow to change up properly to 4th gear. She should move upto 4th at about 55mph, and will should drop down to about 2,000 revs. However, whilst she is cold, she will change up, but the revs only drop down to just below 3,000 revs. It can take anything between 10 - 25 minutes before she is warm enough to fully drop down in revs at 55-60mph. Any ideas?
Mine has a "flat spot" in the acceleration also.
The dealer tried to tell me it was due to "over sized tires". Which is a crock because the tires and wheels are exactly the same size as those put on the SD and G4 models.
I've just come to live with it.
If I want a little more acceleration I just go to eleven. If you know what I mean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OkieRover said:
First of all, TD5? I hate you. Secondly.....
Firstly, how nice it is to be accepted and loved by our Yank cousins....

OkieRover said:
Having spent the better part of two weekends under mine.
I'd say check out your drive line. Make sure you don't have a failing U-joint.


Mine has a "flat spot" in the acceleration also.
The dealer tried to tell me it was due to "over sized tires". Which is a crock because the tires and wheels are exactly the same size as those put on the SD and G4 models.
I've just come to live with it.
If I want a little more acceleration I just go to eleven. If you know what I mean.
Thanks for the U-joint suggestion - will check this out tomorrow.

As for the flat spot, I don't think it is this. It appears to be definitely connected to the 4th gear lock-out, which I know is temperature dependant and electronically controlled.

It has been suggested, that a tranny filter and oil change will cure it, but this just seems a little too easy and straightforward for me.... Hence asking the epxertise of those who peruse these pages....

Thanks again.
 

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
Joined
·
3,205 Posts
I wish we had the TD5 or at least a diesel offering here....so very sad that we don't.

Never under estimate what new fluid and filter will fix. If the fluid is being retarded from getting to places it should due to a dirty filter...that kinda makes sense to me.

I just replaced the transaxle fluid. The hum or whine that is associated with the transaxle is all but gone. That fluid was burned badly.

Good luck. And let us know if the fluid and filter fix the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OkieRover said:
I wish we had the TD5 or at least a diesel offering here....so very sad that we don't.

Never under estimate what new fluid and filter will fix. If the fluid is being retarded from getting to places it should due to a dirty filter...that kinda makes sense to me.

I just replaced the transaxle fluid. The hum or whine that is associated with the transaxle is all but gone. That fluid was burned badly.

Good luck. And let us know if the fluid and filter fix the problem.
No diesels in the US?! I had no idea..... You poor buggers!
 

·
Solihull Society, CO and High Desert Rovers, NM
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
rjsdavis said:
No diesels in the US?! I had no idea..... You poor buggers!
I have no idea why the obsession with Diesel! Stinky, slow, black cloud... These were the symptoms last time I drove an Oldsmobile Diesel wagon here in the U.S. I know they've gotten better, but I refuse to follow a Diesel down a hill under engine braking! PEEE YEEEEW! Followed by a major headache.

I'll keep the transplanted 4.6 in my RR1 for now.

I secretly dig the V10 TDi in the VW Tuoreg (cannot seem to spell that tribe's name right, right now!) but don't tell!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thor said:
I have no idea why the obsession with Diesel! Stinky, slow, black cloud... These were the symptoms last time I drove an Oldsmobile Diesel wagon here in the U.S. I know they've gotten better, but I refuse to follow a Diesel down a hill under engine braking! PEEE YEEEEW! Followed by a major headache.

I'll keep the transplanted 4.6 in my RR1 for now.

I secretly dig the V10 TDi in the VW Tuoreg (cannot seem to spell that tribe's name right, right now!) but don't tell!
When you've seen a V10 TOUAREG Diesel yank a Massey Ferguson Combine Harvester across a muddy field on it's towbar (weighing about 20 tonnes), which is how Top Gear reviewed the car on Brit TV, and then seen the new diesel Disco 3 driven to the one of the highest plateau's in the British Isles, where no other wheeled vehicle has been before, and then seen the Top Gear (again) guys DRIVE a Toyota DIESEL pick-up truck to the NORTH POLE drinking Gin & Tonic just a few weeks ago - the first to drive it!(again where nothing other than huskies and snow-mobiles have ventured previously), I am pretty convinced that diesel's are the only option for serious off-road driving. Exploration of the furthest reaches of the planet is becomming a doddle!

Does anyone outside the US drive or buy Oldsmobile's? :) Rant over....
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,594 Posts
rjsdavis said:
Firstly, how nice it is to be accepted and loved by our Yank cousins....



Thanks for the U-joint suggestion - will check this out tomorrow.

As for the flat spot, I don't think it is this. It appears to be definitely connected to the 4th gear lock-out, which I know is temperature dependant and electronically controlled.

It has been suggested, that a tranny filter and oil change will cure it, but this just seems a little too easy and straightforward for me.... Hence asking the epxertise of those who peruse these pages....

Thanks again.
Just a thought, a tranny filter won't be needed when you service the transmisson, the manual shows them only being need on the first service at 30,000 miles. Fluid change could help and consider adding a tranny additive like Lucas, or one that may be found in your area, they have the ability to clean up may shifting issues.
By the way, if you ever come across the video of the Tuoreg pulling the combine, I wish you would send me the link.
Take care,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Disco Mike said:
Just a thought, a tranny filter won't be needed when you service the transmisson, the manual shows them only being need on the first service at 30,000 miles. Fluid change could help and consider adding a tranny additive like Lucas, or one that may be found in your area, they have the ability to clean up may shifting issues.
By the way, if you ever come across the video of the Tuoreg pulling the combine, I wish you would send me the link.
Take care,
Mike
I've had a good look for you, and unfortunately can only find two out of the three videos mentioned above;

Discovery up a mountain
Toyota to the North Pole!

If you go to;

http://www.topgear.com/content/timetoburn/sections/videos/

You will find two drop down lists on the left hand side in the middle'ish of the page. In the first drop down, you'll find the three Polar Challenge videos -it is quite amusing to watch two fat, middle-aged Brits drinking G&T, and cooking fois gras on a camping stove in the Noth Pole....

In the second drop down list, is the Discovery up a mountain video.

If i find the Toaureg video - I'll post the link...

Plus there's loads of others - like the Ferrari FXX, Bowler Wild Cat, A Transit Van Driven in under 10 mins round the Nurburgring!, allsorts to keep you amused....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I can make a suggestion on Problem no:2 I had the exact kind of rattling and it took me long to discover... it was coming from a useless black plastic square shaped part in the engine compartment, right below and middle of the wipers . I took it off, rattling stopped truck runs fine without it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D2D said:
I can make a suggestion on Problem no:2 I had the exact kind of rattling and it took me long to discover... it was coming from a useless black plastic square shaped part in the engine compartment, right below and middle of the wipers . I took it off, rattling stopped truck runs fine without it.
Thanks alot for the suggestion, however, I have already tried this and the offending part has already been removed - it wasn't that unfortunately. I think it might the exhaust (it is quite a loud rattle), and when I tap it with a rubber mallet, it sounds as though there is something loose rattling inside it (but I know it can't be the cat!), but I can't identify what it could be!

When I tap the exhaust on my old 300tdi, or my Merc, they both sound like you are tapping a lead pipe with a dead dull sound - no rattle. I think it might be this.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
When you check your exhaust follow the tailpipe up to the back axle.Onthe last bend there is a counter weight thing bolted onto the diff which has a bolt coming out right next to the tailpipe. Under load and around 2200 rpm the pipe rubs against this bolt and it sounds like something is loose in the g/box.prop shafts area. Easy to check,1.bolt will be worn.2 pipe needs about 1 inch clearence.
I guess I've cut off half a dozen of the bolt ends over time.
If you want a quick check just tie(with wire) tailpipe across to rail and fid a upgrade and cruise up at 2000/2500 rpm.
cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tracker said:
When you check your exhaust follow the tailpipe up to the back axle.Onthe last bend there is a counter weight thing bolted onto the diff which has a bolt coming out right next to the tailpipe. Under load and around 2200 rpm the pipe rubs against this bolt and it sounds like something is loose in the g/box.prop shafts area. Easy to check,1.bolt will be worn.2 pipe needs about 1 inch clearence.
I guess I've cut off half a dozen of the bolt ends over time.
If you want a quick check just tie(with wire) tailpipe across to rail and fid a upgrade and cruise up at 2000/2500 rpm.
cheers
Thanks alot for the suggestion - I will get under there tomorrow and have a good look. I'll let you know what I find...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
rjsdavis said:
3 - Just a niggle - she can sometimes be slow to change up properly to 4th gear. She should move upto 4th at about 55mph, and will should drop down to about 2,000 revs. However, whilst she is cold, she will change up, but the revs only drop down to just below 3,000 revs. It can take anything between 10 - 25 minutes before she is warm enough to fully drop down in revs at 55-60mph. Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone kind enough to reply.

Richard
G'day Richard,

That's just normal - the ZF auto gearbox with electronic control will not lock the torque converter until the fluid temperature gets to a certain point.

Perfectly normal. Not sure about the other problems though.

Lawrance Lee
'99 DII V8 auto
Melbourne, Australia
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Discovery Noises - RESOLVED!

OkieRover said:
I wish we had the TD5 or at least a diesel offering here....so very sad that we don't.

Never under estimate what new fluid and filter will fix. If the fluid is being retarded from getting to places it should due to a dirty filter...that kinda makes sense to me.

I just replaced the transaxle fluid. The hum or whine that is associated with the transaxle is all but gone. That fluid was burned badly.

Good luck. And let us know if the fluid and filter fix the problem.

For those that read this thread - all three problems have been identified and resolved (well sort of!)

1 - Hiss was caused by a leak / crack in the flexi-joint on the old exhaust downpipe. Hiss has gone completely with the new pipe that has just been fitted.

2 - Rattle has been identified as also being the downpipe as I suspected. However, I got the replacement from a salvage specialist, and whislt it cured No. 1 - it still rattles (which you couldn't tell until fitted), therefore still have the torque rattle. At least I know what it is now though.

3 - Completely cured by filter a new transmission filter kit and new gearbox fluid. It will happily change up to final lock-out at 55mph, when still only a quarter of the way on the temp guage on the dashboard clocks - which is excellent news.

Anyone got a good downpipe for a non-cat TD5?

Thanks for all of the replies...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Dear all

I have two noises and another separate quirk that I am trying to identify in my Discovery 2 TD5 (1999) with an auto box;

1 - When moving off from the stationary, there is a distinct "hiss" which is related to the throttle and throttle use. If moving off from stationary, it will last about 1-2 seconds and then disappear. It won't come back unless I idle and lose speed, and then use the throttle again - when it will briefly (less than a second) re-appear, or if I go back to a full stop and start off again. Should it do this? My 300 Tdi never made this turbo hiss type noise!

2 - When moving at low speed and higher torque, i.e. moving up a hill slowly, there is a rattle coming from underneath the car. It only happens between 1750 & 2500 revs, and only at low speeds. It does happen in the same rev range on the flat, but is less noisy. It dissipates largely when the car is very warm, and has been running for 30 minutes or longer. Any ideas?

3 - Just a niggle - she can sometimes be slow to change up properly to 4th gear. She should move upto 4th at about 55mph, and will should drop down to about 2,000 revs. However, whilst she is cold, she will change up, but the revs only drop down to just below 3,000 revs. It can take anything between 10 - 25 minutes before she is warm enough to fully drop down in revs at 55-60mph. Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone kind enough to reply.

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
1- mine was, still does. if I sit still or move...it is the air compressor for back suspension on mine.
2- mine is doing that right now. it is why I logged in, but used google cause I'm on laptop and don't have passwords in yet, I am Jim_Discoveryng…, anyway my iPhone logged in. I have DTCs, ive determined it is exhaust clattering. No leaks, the clatter is echoing, but is immediate at rear, tail pipe. Emissions problems. Smells to high heaven in closed in area. calms down when warm. It is the crankcase ventilation to exhaust issue--ThePCV problem that there is a remedy for. I will come back and attach link it is why I am here tonight. I planned to this in August...even if it don't fix yours, I know for fact it is my problem, yours sound the same.
3- Mine WAS doing I flushed Tranny with Lucas Flush and Marvel Mystery oil, ran for a minute--couple weeks, which is only 150 miles for me, then changed filter and everything to Lucas Synthetic with their a) additive and b) conditioner; I changed FRONT & REAR-ends with 75w90 Lucas Synthetic with additive; then finally, the Transfer Case Fluids. I greased the shafts/u-joints too. no noises now when I turn up the stereo...lol just kidding those were the resolutions and the PCV is my problem on this other...and I was trying to find what was not a maintenance issue. I dropped the ball
I have read backwards and forwards these Disco 2 forums. I been on the others. if anyone will just run down thru these threads systematically and diligently get it done, its like have the indwelling of the Spirit--LIGHT!! I once was blind but now I see, but still "wouldn't" refused to, did not consider, and so I was caught in futility. I encourage all to agree, submit, obey the imputed problem solutions proactively. I drilled the old out and cleaned it and it worked but I am doing the conversion per LandRoversonly.com these guys are great they are the Psalm 121 of Discovery series 2s--They are where my Help comes through (Phi2.13). The TRuth! Appreciate You All Tremendously!! Grateful to you. (I am far from expert, but wanted to offer what worked / works for me. hope your problems become your testimony being made.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top