Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys the problem started with a clanking sound that would increase or
decrease with the speed of the truck... then it started to vibrate when i
step on the gas... i dont want to take it to the (stealer) so i'm going to try
fix it my self any suggestions would be apreciated... walt

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Front drive shaft? I think mine is going south too...

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Ditto what everyone said: front driveshaft.

Replace IMMEDIATELY. Do not wait. If this thing granades it's going to have devistating & costly effects on your undercarriage.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Think it's covered under warranty? I love making warranty claims.

·
2,986 Posts
actually it should be, if you still have warranty left.. what i've heard some people do is get the new driveshaft and replace the u-joints on it. I didn't even bother going to try to get it under my extended warranty since i have a suspension lift that probably attributed to it failing.

·
rover has taken over...
18 Posts
hi
I am from KL , Malaysia. I have similar thunking noise coming out from front undecarriage, sometimes even feeling it vibrate while heavy acceleration or deceleration. The short shaft has too much play. Did a warranty claim repair for a new transfer box instead..
a new box is on its way now..

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Well done! Just a few days ago I had a chance to see the aftermath of a grenaded front shaft on the undercarriage of a stock DII up on the racks at my buddy's shop. Not good. DII front shafts are scientifically engineered to blow at about 60k,,, ,,,

·
Registered
218 Posts
SCSL said:
Well done! Just a few days ago I had a chance to see the aftermath of a grenaded front shaft on the undercarriage of a stock DII up on the racks at my buddy's shop. Not good. DII front shafts are scientifically engineered to blow at about 60k,,, ,,,
I have to agree with that. cause right @ 63K my U-joint went. driveshaft broke loose. and cracked my transmition case. Luckly I had an extended warantee, otherwise I would to have paid $4100 bucks for a reman-tranny.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Drive shaft

You can order an up graded U-joint kit from Bill at Great Basins Rover in Utah for around $100.00.
Mike J.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Disco Mike said:
You can order an up graded U-joint kit from Bill at Great Basins Rover in Utah for around $100.00.
Mike J.

What makes it upgraded? Will it last longer the 60K miles?

I dont think I ever had mine replaced and Im at 122K miles.

I Yie Yie...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
U-Joints

The up grade come in that one some aftermarket u-joints are better then factory but mainly the fact that factory u-joints can't be lubed hence they fail. New upgraded u_joint have grease jerks on the so you can lube then every 10,000 or 15,000 miles.
Mike J.

·
Registered
908 Posts
hmm...maybe this is similiar but i'll ask to then

so i run the car for 30 mph then i take off my foot from the pedal immediately, then step on the pedal again immediately about 1/4 of it, then there's this sound like something collides from front under.

someone?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.