Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings,

getting ready to purchase a 2" lift from either RTE or GBR Utah soon. Just got the double cardon DS from GBR Utah and had a question about weight considerations when applying a lift. I have a 94 Discovery I use as a daily driver in Colorado and I do moderate to high levels of 4 wheeling during the warmer season. I will eventually purchase a winch and front bumper for the car so I am wondering what type of things I should be aware of when choosing the right lift kit for my car when weight is being applied to the front of the vehicle.
appreciate any input.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Add up the weight of everything you will likely take with you when you hit the trail. This includes passengers, full fuel tank, future upgrades, big spare wheel, spare parts, camping gear etc. you may need to guess at some but try to get as close as possible. If you have a buddy with the same size truck all kitted out then weigh that.

After you've pushed your eyes back into your head use this info to choose the spring rate. This will get you in the ballpark. Some folks get it right straight away others swap around a little until they find a set up that works for them. Terrain and speed of travel are major factors in spring choice. Shocks also play a huge part in how the suspension handles load so research that too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do thanks.
Does that account for some of the different pitches that other peoples discovery's have. I have noticed that some will be angled down at the front or vise versa. Is there a reason for that other than people who like the look one way or the other?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Ideally you want a level truck. There are lots of spring rates to choose from and 'HD' is not always the best choice. Also be aware that springs can and do sag over time giving a inconsistent ride and goofy look.

First decide how much weight will be on the front and rear axles respectively then factor in the tyre size you want to run and what you are prepared to give up to achieve that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have replaced 2 u joints on the stock shaft just within a year and thought this would be a necessary replacement for any lift. Am I wrong?
Did you replace the same exact u-joint twice? Or was it one ujoint at each end of the driveshaft? How long had the previous ujoints been on there? Had you been greasing them at least every oil change?

Most 2" lifted trucks will never need a DC front driveshaft. That said every Disco reacts differently to a lift and you may be the .01% of guys that need a DC shaft for 2" lift.
Putting a DC shaft on a truck that doesn't need it is no better than a single ujoint shaft on one that needs a DC.
You could end up dropping $300 on a DC shaft that does more harm than good.
My advice is to stick the lift on there and run it with the stock shaft. If the ujoints on your stock shaft are good and you still get vibrations then you'll probably need a DC.
Take a look at the second drawing down on this page. Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - Technical Information
Grab an angle finder or download an app for your phone and see what you have for angles after your lift.
I'd put money on you NOT needing a DC shaft.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the 2" old man emu heavy duty, I'm running a 12k winch on front with bracket that's about 150 lbs
I also did medium firm poly bushings, stock front drive shaft, removed front sway bar

Here is the deal, you will probly need HD springs with winch and bumpers but if you put them on now without those extras the truck will sit over height and handle like crap probly ride bad too

My rig sits high in the rear even with my off road gear so hoping if I add a rack it will settle makes it squirly on the highway

You may want to buy some extras first so weight can be added when you do the springs

ome springs do ride nice I do what I consider lite off road no rock crawling, some wading, trail riding climb small hills etc. So ymmv. Also good used springs and shocks can be had very reasonable my springs and shocks think 265 invested and new that would be around 1k

The site in my signature is a good place to check 4 sale also check the thread linked in my signature it may answer your questions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.