Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 Disco 129K. I have had the truck for 3 years and it has had rear suspension sag from the day I picked it up. It is the original springs and struts NO AIR BAGS. Only the rear driver side sags. It is 3/4 of an inch lower and it is visually noticeable. All the same tires with same tread. PSI is at 35. I just replaced the rear springs and struts and it made no real difference. Any other wear items back there that could cause this?

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Not exactly sure what you are referring to as "struts" but even if it did have them they would not affect ride height. Springs of course will. What did you install for replacement springs?
Shocks / struts have no effect on ride heigh what so ever. But...
Lots of things can come into play but of course the springs are the biggest.
Any tire wear or alignment issues?
You say the drivers side sags/sits lower. What load is that under? empty?
I have dealt vehicles that required shimming of the spring to compensate for load weight (usually passenger weight due to being "supersized " occupants) no offence intended but could this possibly be the issue?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good questions. The measurements were from an empty truck. The side that is sagging does have excessive wearing on the inside of the tire. Driver and Passenger height are the same from ground to center hub at 13 inches. From ground to bottom of fender driver side is 32 and passenger sider is 32.7 inches. I do not think related but I have a bad front driver side ball joint and stabilizer a small 10 inch one. I replaced the rear springs OEM and the dampers were Monroe.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
How does the front measure?
It is possible for a front issue to skew the rear (kind of a sea saw effect)
I would think if all else checks out o.k.including the spring perches in the rear then you may need to shim the low corner. I have used aluminum spring spacers in the past. I know "Supreme Suspensions" make Land Rover specifics billet aluminum units (really nice have them on one of my 2002)

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front is dead on at 32.5 inches. Shock tower looks fine. Could a bent watts linkage do this? Or worn bushings on various parts. Nothing is loose to the touch. I am going to fix the ball joint up front and final solution if needed will be a half inch spacer.

· Registered
71 Posts
It might yield some information if you had the opportunity to swap the rear springs side to side and see if that has any effect.

If not - then frame integrity or some other factors come into question.

· Registered
255 Posts
I found the same situation on mine, depending on load, 1/2 to 3/4 inch variance left to right, left being lower. This changes with a full tank of fuel as weight evens the side to side bias. The rough box carried in the rear with essentials, hitch, tow strap, tie downs, chain and 4 ton jack balanced out the disparity by strapping it down on the right side. When I hooked up a trailer it was equally low so I installed Firestone inner spring airbags to get back to level right height. After looking around and checking side to side, possible bad or ruined spring mounts, bushings and such, I decided the springs are likely a little tired and in particular the left side which carries the predominate weight load through it's 17 year life since my brothers and their sons are not fat but big strapping guys in the 190-200lb range.

In the future I will add heavy duty springs because of the heavier weight of the small block, and to keep it level I'll do all four, I am willing to bet they are simply tired from supporting that weight for the period of time it has been around. Be Safe

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.