Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I've been searching and reading for about 2 weeks now, trying to choose a suspension/tire setup. I currently have stock 18" wheels. 2000 Discovery II bone stock. I'm definetely getting a lift kit, not sure what to get yet. 2" or 3"? Suggestions welcome. Figured I need to decide wheels/tires first.

Should I...

(A) Stay with the 18" wheels, and still go for a larger tire TBD. 265/75/18?

(B) Buy 16" wheels and get 265/75/16. If so, what width wheel? I want black. Any suggestions?

I've had my eye on Goodyear Duratrac. Read decent things about them Seems they will handle themselves off road well. This will be a daily driver. Already know I'm lifting it. Will do bumper mod if I need to. if I need to. What all do I need to trim?

Also installing new pads and rotors at the same time, might as well do longer stainless lines.

I'm really looking for the answer to be, "this is what you should buy for your disco..."

Sorry I'm such a noob!!!

·
'04 Discovery 2
105 Posts
If you are going to off road it, then it is worth downsizing to a 16" rim. Also, the R16 tire choices will be less expensive with more choice. I chose to find a set of D2 16" rims from a disco being parted out on craigslist. I have the OME setup with 751's up front and 781's in the rear which gained me 2.5" all around--Also did extended steel braided brake lines. I am not sure if I needed the extra length, but the original rubber ones were probably getting pretty fatiqued after 8 years, and why not get more length for the same price while doing it. I put on 265 75 R16 Dick Cepek Mud terrains. Typically these are expensive tires, although I got a good quote off Discount Tire Direct ($206) then asked the local Town Fair Tire to match it and they beat it by 5%. Plus mounting and all that. This was worth it as they offer free rotations and roadside hazard etc. . . whether that includes a slashed sidewall from a rock is yet to be seen. But I will try if it happens. Tires are aggressive and eat up dirt, sand, mud, rock--and not bad on the
road at all. PM me with any questions about my setup and I'll be happy to share my experience. My album has some pics of how it turned out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I chose both. I have a set of 18" wheels with 155/55/18" m+S tyres for road use and a set of 16" wheels with 235/85/16" MT tyres for off road use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to continue this conversation. I'm been getting killed at work. But, I can ask this quick questions. What type of life can you expect to see out of MT verses AT?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Depends on what MT and AT we are talking about, how much stuff you haul in the Rover, if the vehicle is in good condition, what surface you drive on etc. etc. etc.

But generally speaking, a average AT will outlast a MT by about half again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am selling my matte black 16's wrapped in 265/75/16 BFG KM2 Mud-Terrains. They are almost like brand new! I would be willing to take your hurricane's and you pay the difference. Where are you located? Here are some pics...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am selling my matte black 16's wrapped in 265/75/16 BFG KM2 Mud-Terrains. They are almost like brand new! I would be willing to take your hurricane's and you pay the difference. Where are you located? Here are some pics...

I am located in Lebanon, PA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What kind of wheels do you have again? Are you interested in the wheels I have? Let me know thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 5. The spare rim is not powder coated but has a brand new BFG KM2 tire on it. Do you have 4 or 5 hurricanes? I would only want the rims and not tires. What condition are the rims in? I would take your rims plus $800 not including shipping. The tires are almost brand new and are not cheap...look them up and you will see. But I love the BFG's they are very quiet for being a mud terrain tire and last a long time...(40,000+ miles). Also, powder coating the wheels the proper way so you don't have any issues is not cheap as well. I paid $400 for the powder coating alone. The tires retail for $230 each + mounting/balancing and tax. There is no one out there right now selling this particular set-up I have looked! lol I spend way too much time on these forums. Let me know...thanks.

here is the spare...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the the wheels. Nice tires, but I'm going to pass on the offer. I have 5 hurricanes that will be up for sale once I get my 16" wheels and tires. I am looking for black steel, and most likely looking at the Goodyear Duratrac 265/75/16. Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the the wheels. Nice tires, but I'm going to pass on the offer. I have 5 hurricanes that will be up for sale once I get my 16" wheels and tires. I am looking for black steel, and most likely looking at the Goodyear Duratrac 265/75/16. Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?
No worries. Originally I wanted steelies (modulars) but just FYI they are quite heavy...around 15kg per wheel not including tires. Going to be quite a bit more rotating mass with steelies. Definitely look great though!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know a bunch of people with the GY Wrangler Duratracs and they all like them. The only thing to watch out for is the sidewall - they seem to be lower ply than some of the other options out there (2 ply I think?), but traction is great. I have it on my 3rd (restoration project) Rover in 215/85R16 and I like them, though. Just remember that the pressure in them should be on the higher side as they're commercial rated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know a bunch of people with the GY Wrangler Duratracs and they all like them. The only thing to watch out for is the sidewall - they seem to be lower ply than some of the other options out there (2 ply I think?), but traction is great. I have it on my 3rd (restoration project) Rover in 215/85R16 and I like them, though. Just remember that the pressure in them should be on the higher side as they're commercial rated.
From what I can tell, at least in the size I'm looking at, they sell two different load ratings. C and E. I'm wondering if the people who complain about the sidewalls went the cheaper route and bout the C rating. Just a guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i have discovery 2 2001, engine V8 - 4.0 L. I have two questions: 1- what is the best type of spark plugs? 2- Should i stick with 18 inch rim or 16 inch rim?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts