Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't wait to post my findings after fixing my stuck transfer case on my 2002 Land Rover Discovery 2. About a year ago I was deep in the back-country of Death Valley and couldn't get my transfer case out of 4-LOW. Now, obviously I could have made it back to the pavement crawling for 30 plus miles, but what a pain that would have been. Miraculously, I was able to get it back into 4-HIGH, but was reluctant to go back to 4-LOW for fear I might not get back out. Since then, the transfer case has been permanently “stuck” in 4-HIGH and would not budge.

The 2002 Discovery 2 utilizes an LT230SE Transfer case employing a Transfer Box Interlock Solenoid. Basically, the solenoid is activated only when the transmission is in the neutral position. This is a safety device which prevents someone (soccer moms with kids riding in the front seat) from accidentally shifting the transfer case without being in the transmission’s neutral position, or even worse, at highway speeds. Now, anybody who’s an avid off-roader knows that you only shift the transfer case at crawling speeds, with your transmission in neutral; Duh!

Anyhow, when these solenoids go bad, you can’t shift the transfer case. There’s also a transmission shifter solenoid, located within the shifter mechanism under your center consule, which prevents it from shifting when your foot is off the brake while in the Park position. Yeah, that device has now failed me twice (Good job Land Rover). The Discovery 2 could be a stellar off-road vehicle if it weren’t for its bloated electronics designed for safety and luxury.

After researching the online forums, I came to the conclusion that if you remove it completely the problem would be solved. Yup, that did the trick. Instead of replacing the solenoid ($350.00 plus labor), I simply pulled the solenoid out and now use is as a paperweight! Get with the shop manual for specific location and instructions for removing it. A little tip: Lowering the transfer case will aid you in accessing the solenoid cover with its 4 bolts.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.