Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
What year is your truck, do you have a CDL which is needed prior to installing lockers? Also, Have you already rebuilt or replaced the front drive shaft to prevent it from failing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an 02 and I already replaced the cdl with one from an 00 with the nipple to manual engage it. Haven't rebuilt the front drive shaft yet. Is there a lit for rebuilding the front drive shaft?

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Do the front drive shaft before you head out on the trails. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the PDF file for the rebuild.
As for the lockers, what are you thinking about using, what size tires will you be running and what is your budget?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 3" toddco suspension lift and I am running 285/60/18 on stock rims. I was leaning toward tt lockers front and rear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
airlockers. Trus are nice but you don't really want them on the street. Air will let you keep the stockish ride. I would think there might be some crap to deal with when the traction control and the trutrac engage at the same time but I could be wrong.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
And why wouldn't you want T.T.'s on the road and please be specific?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
airlockers. Trus are nice but you don't really want them on the street. Air will let you keep the stockish ride. I would think there might be some crap to deal with when the traction control and the trutrac engage at the same time but I could be wrong.
You don't know what your talking about. ARB's are nice, but expensive and useless when your compressor takes a dump. Tru-Tracs are cheaper, transparent on-road and off-road they work exceptionally well, especially with the traction control. If you get a tire in the air and the TC doesn't catch it, just step on the brake and they lock right up. And for toughness? I had one in the rear of a 240 Volvo sedan (Dana 20) that I dropped a Ford 302HO into (400hp/300ft/lbs). I ABUSED that thing, and that Tru-Trac worked flawlessly.
- Bill

·
Registered
202 Posts
Looking to install lockers myself after i do a front half CDL swap. What do u guys suggest would be better; TT front and rear, ARB front and rear, or a combo of both?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Looking to install lockers myself after i do a front half CDL swap. What do u guys suggest would be better; TT front and rear, ARB front and rear, or a combo of both?
Tru-Tracs front and rear. Least expensive, transparent on-road, great off-road, intall and forget, always work, tough. No brainer.
- Bill

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Kinds of depends on the type of wheeling you do, how hard are the trails and your budget.
What will you be doing with your truck.
As for me, I run a T.T. in the front and a Detroit in the rear with H.D. axles and 4:11's.
For most people, T.T.'s front and rear are great, less expensive and will pull you thru most anything.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Kinds of depends on the type of wheeling you do, how hard are the trails and your budget.
What will you be doing with your truck.
As for me, I run a T.T. in the front and a Detroit in the rear with H.D. axles and 4:11's.
For most people, T.T.'s front and rear are great, less expensive and will pull you thru most anything.
I'm mainly doing trails (mud/sand etc), going up steep inclines, and camping . Nothing as serious as rock climbing or anything. Also gonna put a snorkel on it and have "Cold Air Intake" stenciled on it for shits and giggles.;)

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Stay woth 2 T.T.'s, you will really like them, they are strong and don't cause issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tts front rear suck on snow roads and can be scary on snowy roads. Had a 4runner built and slapped 1 in the front and went like a beast in the snowy roads 4,+ deep snow etc and decided on my next 4rnr I'd go front and rear. Yeah wont do that again. If you dont see snow then yeah if so on road in snow learn the vehicles behaviors it can be u serving especially with ice underneath.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can someone explain why they think TT's are worse in the snow/ice then the stok open diff's?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can someone explain why they think TT's are worse in the snow/ice then the stok open diff's?
A solid locker is consistent and can be gotten used to to the over plow steering as it pushes a corner when in the rear. A true trac is intermittent and when a tire slips it differs power around so if the front is pulling your fine as soon as leverages change in rear it gets really weird.

A true track in front is a blessing by itself weights over front tires and between a locked rear and locked front (not both one or the other) the front is your biggest traction gain from engine weight and it pulling the vehicle over the top loaded with weight for traction.

I did runs in the blues mtns with 4-6' of snow and my toy rocked with a front tt when i did both it was good not great lockers for the deep would have been better. In hard pack/mud/trails/sand and rocks the true tracks are good front and rear just snowy roads are hazardous as all can be with them in the rear. Front I was unstoppable on snowy roads the front pulls the vehicle and steers it too so it ripped around beautifully.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well since i travel to snowy regions often i might go with TT at the front and an air locker at the back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts