Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background, I bought a 2002 disco at an auction with 145k, with the help of this forum and the RAVE manual I have managed to put a new PS pump in which it desperately needed, new throttle body heater valve which was dripping coolant causing misfires, cleaned o2 sensor connectors, it had a SES light on managed to clear that and it seems to run well. The only code it has now is p1668 which I think is unrelated to my current issue which is it seems to turn over more than I'd like before it starts. This is the case only after it sits for awhile. It turns over for 4-7 seconds before starting up. I checked compression and all cylinder were between 145-160. I put in new plugs after seeing the #6 plug was extremely fouled and also noticed a larger amount of gas coming out #6 while doing the compression test. I know I should have shut off the gas while doing this but I wasn't sure how to do that. Anyway, no codes, engine runs good no shaking or misfiring that I notice, any thoughts on this would be most helpful.

These are my thoughts, Fuel pump? New o2 sensors? Could have gotten damaged from coolant drip or oil from valley pan gasket? I still just keep tightening down that last bolt on the passenger side gasket as it leaks a very small amount of oil. I have cleaned and tied back the o2 connectors but not sure if the damage was already done. Lastly stuck open injector? thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that all the plugs weren't great either, #6 was just extremely bad and then noticed excessive fuel there, and also not sure what kind of MPG I am getting. Any other info needed from me please let me know.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
First, if your plug wires are grey, get rid of them and order a set of 8 mm silicone wires, like STI or Magencor's from British Parts of Utah. Then consider doing an induction cleaning and running a can of BG's 44K thru the tank and those issues will be gone, with one exception , that being a possible failing fuel pump
As for your truck, read my sticky, posted at the top of this section on Major Services and do them all to bring your truck up current.
If you have any questions or need some help. send me your number and I'll call you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Mike, I did what you said and ran a can of BG44K in the truck and I haven't noticed any difference. The truck is still running fine with no codes, have put about 3000 miles on since I posted. It is still turning over more than it should after it sits and has begun leaking a small amount of coolant which seems to be coming from the back side of the engine. After it starts the first time it does not hesitate unless it sits for an hour or so. I have tried turning the key on and off to prime the system but haven't had much luck with that, is this a failing fuel pump? Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also I would like to mention I have done many of your suggestions in the sticky posted at the top of the section, thanks for all that information.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
What about the wires, what do you have?
I am wondering about a failing fuel pump that might be draining off fuel pressure making the engine take longer to start.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wires are 8mm blue sti, plugs are new, should priming the pump work by turning ignition on and off several times? Or any other way to narrow in on it being the fuel pump?

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Turn the key to the 2nd position for 4 or 5 seconds, do that 2 or 3 times and see if that changes how it starts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just tried that starting it the for the first time today and still turned over for about 4-5 seconds before starting, should I be applying the gas pedal at all as well?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
could the leaking coolant have anything to do with it? I would love for it be something easier like the fuel pump, are there any check valves on this? Or is it built into the pump?

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Stay away from the gas pedal, that will just throw the ECU into a fit.
If it were mine I would be looking at your fuel pressure.
As for the coolant leak, may not be related but is more important to be dealing with for now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Mike, found the coolant leak and it was actually coming the thermostat housing, new thermostat and that issue is resolved. Onto the starting issue, starts hard after sitting for an hour or so I think its bleeding off pressure pretty quickly takes 5-7 seconds of turning over before running. No codes, idles and drives great. I know there is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail which I can hook up to, any advice on what to look for here and/what to rent or purchase to test this so I dont throw money at a fuel pump I may not need?

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
If you primed the pump key turning the key top the second position a couple times prior to starting and nothing changed, then the pump is fine.
Do a coolant pressure test to rule out coolant leaking into #6.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Crank Positioning sensor starting to lose it? Our '02 started with a slight extended crank and the CPS fixed it. $.02

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Crank sensor will not effect 1 cylinder only.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I rented a Evertough kit from Oreilly's this morning none of the fittings seem to work, I really don't want to pay someone to test this but I don't see any other options?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If coolant were leaking into the plug wouldn't I be getting misfire codes? Ive been using these plugs for over 3000 miles and no codes have surfaced. If it a leak I am looking at a head gasket correct? Probably not even worth it with a vehicle of this age, and something I dont think i could do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts