Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace a steering box on a 2004 Discovery Series II and I have a good used steering box from a 2000 Discovery Series II and would like to know will this gear box work in my 2004.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I am quite sure that all D2 steering boxes are the same.
Should be fine.
Hope this helps
Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
188 Posts
FYI, a parts lookup indicates 03-04 uses a different box. No practical knowledge of any differences or if earlier box will work.

Workshop Manual has section for seal R&R if you'd prefer to keep your box.
Seal - output shaft - steering box

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced the steering box, and all went well, I pre filled the replacement box with LR fluid, replaced the 4 o rings on the supply and return tubes and reconnected them. I then filled the reservoir to max fill line. Opened the bleeder fitting in top of the steering box until i had a constant flow of fluid. I started up the rover and the power steering pump whined loudly for a sec and quietened down somewhat. I started cycling the steering wheel side to side a couple of times and shut it off. I rechecked the fluid level. It was a little low so topped it off again but noticed the fluid was heavily aerated. So I cracked the bleeder valve until all air was evacuated. I went through these steps until no air seemed to be present in system. But i am still getting a whining noise from power steering pump when turning steering wheel. Very loud at first start up when cold.
Any advise?
It was also recommended that I Be sure to adjust the play out with the screw on top after the install to get maximum benefit. And i am wondering what the process is for adjusting the screw and lock nut.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Replaced the steering box, and all went well, I pre filled the replacement box with LR fluid, replaced the 4 o rings on the supply and return tubes and reconnected them. I then filled the reservoir to max fill line. Opened the bleeder fitting in top of the steering box until i had a constant flow of fluid. I started up the rover and the power steering pump whined loudly for a sec and quietened down somewhat. I started cycling the steering wheel side to side a couple of times and shut it off. I rechecked the fluid level. It was a little low so topped it off again but noticed the fluid was heavily aerated. So I cracked the bleeder valve until all air was evacuated. I went through these steps until no air seemed to be present in system. But i am still getting a whining noise from power steering pump when turning steering wheel. Very loud at first start up when cold.
Any advise?
It was also recommended that I Be sure to adjust the play out with the screw on top after the install to get maximum benefit. And i am wondering what the process is for adjusting the screw and lock nut.
1) Disconnect drag link at steering box end
2) Hold steering box adjustment screw in place with Torx bit and loosen nut
3) Tighten screw 1/2 turn at a time, then turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock and check for binding
4) When it starts to bind, back it off 1/4 turn and set the nut to lock it in place
5) Go back and check for binding in steering again - If it still binds, loosen and back it off another 1/4 turn, re-tighten and check again
6) While you have your drag link disconnected, check the end joints for play, replace as necessary
7) Reconnect drag link and realize that your steering was ridiculously loose since you owned the vehicle and you had just accepted it until now :grin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.