Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a very strange situation on my 2000 TD%. The engine and transmission have been totally rebuilt and the vehicle has been running and performing well. However I started experiencing problems with starting when in mark. All the dash lights would come on and go off as normal but would not start. Pushing the gear shift around a bit etc generally allowed it to start. However recently I reversed my boat into my yard and switched the engine off not realising I was still in reverse. I moved the shift into park and have not been able to start again for the last week. I have checked all the things suggested etc and . when I put the key in and tern to stage 2 all the dash lights come on then gradually switch off as normal exept one the red battery symbol near the bottom. I have checked my battery and all fuses and they are all ok. My ECU is obviously getting signals from my XYZ switch as the red light alongside the shift lever works and follows the shift anf non the dash the PRND123 are showing up and changing as I shift gear. However no action or even a sound from the car when i turn the key to start This one has me baffled. Any ideas or info would be welcome.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
I would suspect the XYZ still, unless you have a sticky switch but earned a brand new problem altogether unrelated to the switch...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Since the red LEDs on the shifter bezel and the PRND321 LCD display are working correctly I doubt it's the XYZ switch because, as you point out, the ECU is clearly getting the inputs from the XYZ. The fact that you shut off the engine while the trans was in reverse should not be relevant.

How about something more basic? Can you get under the truck with a multimeter to confirm the truck is getting 12V at the starter? Not on the battery cable terminal at the starter, but to the starter terminal itself. With my first car, 40+ years ago, I solved a similar problem by removing the battery cable from the starter and roughing up the mating surfaces. There was no visible corrosion, but somehow power was not getting to the starter.

And check for 12V to the solenoid when someone is in the truck turning the key to Position III. If both of those tests are positive that would point to a bad starter that needs to be replaced.

Always start checking the simplest plausible failure causes first. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the red LEDs on the shifter bezel and the PRND321 LCD display are working correctly I doubt it's the XYZ switch because, as you point out, the ECU is clearly getting the inputs from the XYZ. The fact that you shut off the engine while the trans was in reverse should not be relevant.

How about something more basic? Can you get under the truck with a multimeter to confirm the truck is getting 12V at the starter? Not on the battery cable terminal at the starter, but to the starter terminal itself. With my first car, 40+ years ago, I solved a similar problem by removing the battery cable from the starter and roughing up the mating surfaces. There was no visible corrosion, but somehow power was not getting to the starter.

And check for 12V to the solenoid when someone is in the truck turning the key to Position III. If both of those tests are positive that would point to a bad starter that needs to be replaced.

Always start checking the simplest plausible failure causes first. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Hi Thanks for that. I went to see the guy who does all my servicing and rebuilt the motor completely. As I can’t take the vehicle to him, he is going to come and do exactly what you have said. I noticed there was ever such a small click, hardly hear it, and he said he wanted to check if power was getting to solenoid and the starter. He thinks my starter is the prob. My girl has clicked over520000 kms And apart from the engine rebuild and the trans recon- we had to put a new torque converter- I got a performance one as that was all that was available, and a performance flex plate with all the real info re hardness temper spring etc. the vehicle has had little else changed and just recently flew through its warrant. The guy said he couldn’t believe how good all the underside and drive train etc was for a 20 year old vehicle. However the starter motor is the original one from new so I guess it is entitled to give up now. Cheers lyn

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
Pushing the gear shift around a bit etc generally allowed it to start.
this could be coincidental, or psychosomatic

@FlybumLloyd if you place the truck in D or N, and then gently push the gear selector up or down, can you get the light next to the shifter (or on the IPC) to change, without actually moving the selector out of gear?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The XYZ switch may need to be adjusted, if it is not exactly right you can run into this. You will need to research on where exactly it sits and how to adjust but I understand this does happen

·
Registered
35 Posts
Silly question, but have you checked that the control wire attached to the starter solenoid has not fallen off the spade terminal connection - quite a common situation because the female connector gets loose over time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It'd be nice to hear the rest of the story, but maybe that's unlikely. The guy has just two posts, both in this thread. Oh well.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
Drive by lolol

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yep, that drives me crazy. Why even waste the time to make the original post? And inconsiderate to the forum members not to report the results. We need to know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts