Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all Discovery IIs with an auto trans whine? We drove three and they all did it. Is there a fix? The '00 we just bought has the extended warr and am thinking if we need to take it in. All the fluids are good and full.

·
Registered
18 Posts
99 Disco I

Mine whines also, didn't know it when I purchased it because it had some really rough mud grips. I got new tires, and it scared me at first, but I think this may be normal. Mine is coming from the transfer case.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
S Couch said:
Mine whines also, didn't know it when I purchased it because it had some really rough mud grips. I got new tires, and it scared me at first, but I think this may be normal. Mine is coming from the transfer case.
Thanks for the response, Since all three that we drove did it I kind of assumed it was normal. I will soon be changing the fluids to synthetic and will have to see what happens then. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You might also check and see if your idler pulleys have been replaced along with the serpentine belt. Mine were replaced under warranty, they are known to be noisey and fail. Yes the t/case makes a little whine, you might also check and make sure your cardon joint on the front drive shafy has had the dual u-joints replaced, they will also fail big time.
Good luck and enjoy your truck like the rest of us.
Mike J.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Clunk

When I put mine in gear, it makes a clunk, like a bad u-joint sometimes makes. I have suspected them to be worn, is this a do-it yerself job, or is expertise needed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ashcroft Transmissions here in the UK do a replacement set of gears (Q Gears) for the DII as it appears to be a common complaint.

HTH

Ivan

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ivan said:
Ashcroft Transmissions here in the UK do a replacement set of gears (Q Gears) for the DII as it appears to be a common complaint.

HTH

Ivan
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts