Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys and girls!

Though this may strike everyone as a New Year's resolution, I assure you it's a mere coincidence: I resolved a few years ago to never again make a New Year's resolution.

In any case, we are contemplating moving back to the US after this year, probably Summer of '07. SWIMBO is cool with driving the Beast at least to Mexico if not further north, thus, this message is the officially beginning of the planning and preparation stage of the trip: Discoverying the Panamerican Highway.

There are a couple of folk who have done this and I will be studying their experiences closely.

I also will be beating up the Beast with increasingly difficult trips to shake out any remaining gremlins left from the POs and my carelesness. I'll post the details here as they develop.

My first question to you: my DI is the "Australian package" (no cats, carbon canister, etc.) - what issues will I face trying to get the Beast into the US? Is it a lost cause? I'm sure I'll have to have the emissions equipment put in and the ECU adjusted for it, but don't want any surprises.

Preliminarily, I am contemplating the benefits/drawbacks of a roof-mounted tent/towed sundries vs. a towed camper/roof-mounted sundries. Any thoughts?

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Peace,

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If we move to the US, it would only be so that we could be closer to my parents in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Thus, I'm looking for opportunities along Wisconsin's Lake Michigan Coast (from Milwaukee to Green Bay).

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
One thing to consider is the price of used Discos here in the States. For what it might cost you to do a conversion to make your truck street legal, for a few $ more you might be able to get another truck once you move here. Or, if possible, get another truck and keep yours but register it as offroad use only. Just a thought.

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like your thinking. I'll look into the "special" registrations.

The fundamental issue is that I know the mods I'll be making won't really increase the resale value of the car, thus, if I have to part with it, I'll have to put all the OEM stuff back on and keep my HD parts for the "next" Disco...

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
what you need to do is contact the local DMV inspection offices and registration. They will tell you if it is possible to import the vehicle into the state.

They may require a conversion or just a highly expensive fee for importation of a vehicle that doesnt fit current standards.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Sweet..... Depending where you move there may not be too many problems with bringing it back...Here in Colorado there is Emissions only in a few parts the rest is left alone...As far as camping goes I am a fan of the camper being towed.. I love my pop up and the comfort it provides!! No to mention you can throw a lot of crap in there to keep it dry from the elements... Bezeel brought up a good point.... No matter what you do man Enjoy it.... Will be glad to see you back in the states!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.