Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article in the British Sunday Times ( 15/1/06) a guy with a SII Range Rover was complaining of having to replace his short engine because it had a porous cylinder block ( manifest by drinking coolant but no white smoke as in head gasket). Is this problem apparent with SI 1998 Discoveries?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
A brief history of the Rover V8........

My two cents and nothing more.

I am not a mechanic of Rovers. But I am a mechanic of people. I am an Emergency Medical Technician.

Entering the Wayback machine.....

The engine block in the Discoverys were originally designed in the United States. It is an aluminium block.

Buick spend a lot of time and research and made the choice to abandon it in favor of cheaper more conservative and more powerful engines.

The guys at Rover saw an opportunity and bought the tools, the tech, and the know-how to build the aluminium block in Solihull.It was redesigned at least twice by Land Rover since and it was at one point the most advanced piece of aluminium engine work done. It has been the motor of choices in several commercial automotive platforms and a few exotic ones like the Wildcat Bowler ( http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Top+Gear+bowler&so=0 )

The two books about the Rover V8 by David Hardcastle are the definitive third-party bibles on the topic. Along with the workshop manual and the Haynes manual, you will a wee bit poorer but a lot more informed about the Disco's engine.

In short, I don't think you have to worry. If you want to, go right ahead and get your own set of uclers by worrying.

·
Registered
720 Posts
PHOENIX, I have to wonder what is meant by "a porous cylinder block"... All metal casts (even after machining) are porous on their surfaces, but does the person mean the casting allows liquids to pass all the way through?? Frankly, I doubt this very much and suspect, without even getting all the facts here, that the casting was cracked. Aluminum is a funny metal, it is wonderful in many ways but not as predictable as iron.
To answer your question directly, if you have had no trouble with your 98 DI block so far, she's probably not 'porous'. One suggestion though - change the coolant every year and don't let her overheat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info lads, PAVEL just for clarity here's the text of the article I'm talking about. This is the motoring correspondents response;
" The Series II Range Rover ( 1994-2001 ) came in a 4 litre and 4.6 litre version. There is a known problem with the larger engine. Some are prone to developing a porous cylinder block. The problem normally becomes apparent through a huge appeite for coolant but without any of the usual head gasket symptoms, typically at the 50,000 mile mark"
Any way if the Disco I is okay I'll sleep better tonight, may be I should kick this up to the Range Rover Forum and give those rich kids up there that sinking feeling!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.