Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen: it took me two hours this AM to do a job (replacing the lamp in the clock) that should have taken three minutes. Thanks to Brian4d I finally got the clock out. Here is how in words accompanied by some pictures:

1. There are two holes for tab locks on the top and bottom of the clock. Use two plastic cards thinner than a credit card and push them in at least two or three inches on the top and the bottom of the clock. They must be at least 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide to hit both tabs. Magically the clock will pull out. There is sticky tape around the clock just inside so be careful not to mess it up. Now you can see the holes in the clock where the tabs lock - two in the top and two in the bottom about 3" apart. So you know already that to reinstall you just pop it back in and it locks securely.

2. Disconnect the clock plug; not necessary to disconnect the door lock plug. This will give you room to get to the lamp.

3. With a small screwdriver or a pair of needlenose pliers twist the lamp counterclockwise until it unlocks. Then remove and replace. The $0.50 lamp cost me $7.75 at Buckhead Land Rover in Atlanta. I have attached a picture of the stealership invoice which also shows the lamp. It has a plastic holder which comes attached to the new lamp.

In theory you could remove the lamp from the holder and replace with a $0.58 lamp (OSRAM 1.2w, W2x4.6d, #2721, #524.887 which I purchased on the web for $5.80 for ten in a box); the only problem is that you must remove a small metal jumper from the old lamp and put it on the new lamp so it will fit in the plastic holder - I just did not want to spend the time.

4. Reconnect the clock plug and straighten out the sticky tape.

5. Push the clock/door lock switch back in gently. It will lock in the tabs again.

6. Proceed to the 19th green.

Total time needed - about three minutes. Total time invested - about two hours not including the pictures and post.

Hope this helps. Pictures attached (I hope).

·
The Zebra
1,179 Posts
THANK YOU for doing this! Now even an idjit like myself can fix my own clock illumination bulb

·
The Zebra
1,179 Posts
And now it's fixed! Made it to the dealer with 15 minutes before they closed, got the bulb and the job is now done!

Thank You!!!!

·
Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
Gentlemen: it took me two hours this AM to do a job (replacing the lamp in the clock) that should have taken three minutes. Thanks to Brian4d I finally got the clock out. Here is how in words accompanied by some pictures:

1. There are two holes for tab locks on the top and bottom of the clock. Use two plastic cards thinner than a credit card and push them in at least two or three inches on the top and the bottom of the clock. They must be at least 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide to hit both tabs. Magically the clock will pull out. There is sticky tape around the clock just inside so be careful not to mess it up. Now you can see the holes in the clock where the tabs lock - two in the top and two in the bottom about 3" apart. So you know already that to reinstall you just pop it back in and it locks securely.

2. Disconnect the clock plug; not necessary to disconnect the door lock plug. This will give you room to get to the lamp.

3. With a small screwdriver or a pair of needlenose pliers twist the lamp counterclockwise until it unlocks. Then remove and replace. The $0.50 lamp cost me $7.75 at Buckhead Land Rover in Atlanta. I have attached a picture of the stealership invoice which also shows the lamp. It has a plastic holder which comes attached to the new lamp.

In theory you could remove the lamp from the holder and replace with a $0.58 lamp (OSRAM 1.2w, W2x4.6d, #2721, #524.887 which I purchased on the web for $5.80 for ten in a box); the only problem is that you must remove a small metal jumper from the old lamp and put it on the new lamp so it will fit in the plastic holder - I just did not want to spend the time.

4. Reconnect the clock plug and straighten out the sticky tape.

5. Push the clock/door lock switch back in gently. It will lock in the tabs again.

6. Proceed to the 19th green.

Total time needed - about three minutes. Total time invested - about two hours not including the pictures and post.

Hope this helps. Pictures attached (I hope).

Tly604:

Thanks for the credit! I do what I can. I was VERY annoyed when mine when out. It was like my truck was saying, "F*** you, you don't need to know the time when it's dark!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts