Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be towing a 4,500lb trailer and at 98K miles and 12 years we need shocks and springs. If we tow six or seven times per year do I need heavy duty or medium duty? I am looking at the Terra Firma springs and +2 shocks. Would the HD be too much the rest of the year? Are the OME kits worth the extra $$$?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I would go with the HD TerraFirma's for that but, I'm no expert.

Give Justin at Lucky8 a call, he knows the TerraFirma kit inside and out he will be able to get you taken care of. (716) 898-8153

Out of curiosity are you going to be pulling the horse trailer?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go with the HD TerraFirma's for that but, I'm no expert.

Give Justin at Lucky8 a call, he knows the TerraFirma kit inside and out he will be able to get you taken care of. (716) 898-8153

Out of curiosity are you going to be pulling the horse trailer?
Yes, the horse trailer. dual axle, electric brakes and the load distribution system.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
If you're using it strictly as a tow/fun vehicle that gets limited mileage, then HD all the way.

If it's still frequently used as a street driver, you can get away with the medium kit - the HD kit will add a considerable amount of harshness that can make driving a bit unpleasant. I have the TF medium kit and love it. I've towed a 3000 lb trailer with 5 (fat) dudes in the car and there was still plenty of suspension travel.

Unless you have some serious bumpers or expedition gear, the heavy kit can make for 3"+ of lift, which could mess with your steering geometry.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Yes, the horse trailer. dual axle, electric brakes and the load distribution system.
I'd be curious to hear your impressions with pulling that set up. My daughter rides and the wife is wanting to get a horse and let my daughter join the team. So that would mean adding a trailer etc. I have a 110 and would use that for awhile but sooner or later she would need to get a truck to pull it. I've been trying to get her into a LR3 so.....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'd be curious to hear your impressions with pulling that set up. My daughter rides and the wife is wanting to get a horse and let my daughter join the team. So that would mean adding a trailer etc. I have a 110 and would use that for awhile but sooner or later she would need to get a truck to pull it. I've been trying to get her into a LR3 so.....
I think the LR3 would be a great vehicle for that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're using it strictly as a tow/fun vehicle that gets limited mileage, then HD all the way.

If it's still frequently used as a street driver, you can get away with the medium kit - the HD kit will add a considerable amount of harshness that can make driving a bit unpleasant. I have the TF medium kit and love it. I've towed a 3000 lb trailer with 5 (fat) dudes in the car and there was still plenty of suspension travel.

Unless you have some serious bumpers or expedition gear, the heavy kit can make for 3"+ of lift, which could mess with your steering geometry.
It's her daily driver and think the HD would be an issue if it's that stiff. I really don't want to lift it at all so I'm leaning towards the Medium, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.