Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I broke the lower air dam on my 99" Disco II and was thinking of replacing the bumper with an ARB. Do I need heavier front springs if I install an ARB or will the factory ones work fine? I figure for the cost of a replacement one and then the cost to have it painted an ARB would be just a cheap to install and would be up out of the way. Also is there a better choice than ARB?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The mileage on your 99 should have worn out your springs somewhat so I would say you have 2 choices, put the bumper on and see how much height you have lost then either put a spacer in to correct the height or change out the springs. If you do the springs, which would be a better way to go, and if you haven't replaced your shocks yet, guess what, it is time for a set of shocks and springs.
Go to Expedition Exchange's web site and read up on the OME shocks and spring or call John Lee the owner, he will walk you through it.
Mike J.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 99' has 56,000 miles on it so I didn't know if the springs are worn yet. The shocks seem like they might have been replaced before. I tried the bounce test on all four corners and it would bounce once then stop, so I think my shocks are ok. The rear doesn't have springs. It has air bags. Are OME shocks the way to go when I replace them?

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
springs

Genuine springs will last for 80,000 plus you wont need heavier springs they will do just fine.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Factory springs on a well used Rover will drop, anytime after 40,000 miles depending on their use.
By the way, the bounce test for shock, especially 4 wheelers, doesn't work at all, you have too much spring to go against.
Most people I know in the different Rover clubs I am in have had to replace their shock around 40,000 miles if they want to take them off the road.
Mike J.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saudi Spec front bumper?

Well I just spoke with a guy from one of the Land Rover catalog parts companies and he said that with an ARB front bumper and a winch that I would need stiffer springs. He also said that because my Disco has rear air suspension that I would need to convert that over to coil springs before I could add stiffer front springs. Well this has turned into a major expense!! Is anyone using or know of anyone that has a Saudi spec front bumper. The catalog company lists one and the rep said it is similar to the factory one except that it doesn't have the lower extension on it where the factory fogs would go.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Depending on how much of a lift you do, $5 worth of parts will help you lift the SLS to match the raised height of the front bumper. If you go over 3"s then you use the spacers from Rovertym to lift the rear and retain your springs.
Look at the attached picture of my 99 D2 with SLS and 3'plus lift while still using the air bags.
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
RoverAsh said:
Is anyone using or know of anyone that has a Saudi spec front bumper.
I have the Saudi Grill on my Disco ;) I haven't seen or heard of Saudi Bumper but it might exist. My bumper is heavier/thicker than an ARB but doesn't stick out as much. I understand you're looking for a DII bumper and springs but I thought I would show you my setup. BTW, my springs have lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
RoverAsh,

If you don't want to lift the truck, you could just get stock height uprated springs for the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ARB OME Suspension Upgrade

I have 2 Discoveries bought at the same time both with ACE (4 coils, not air rear), 1 with ARB Suspension with OME Nitocharger shocks, the other is standard.

I put the ARB suspension in primarily due to the long range tank and tow a lot in the one car. The ride height is 50mm higher and firmer and I probably prefer it over the standard, it is certainly better off road.

You would be wise to put ARB suspension in if you intend to put a winch or H/D Steel bullbar or long range tank or towing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts