Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't driven my discovery in six months and attempted to get it going yesterday. Nothing was wrong with it, I just hadn't registered it at my new house. Anyway the battery was dead of course so I put a new battery in it. It runs but the battery light is on, tach doesn't work unless I smash the throttle and even then it only jumps up to 1k. Ultra gauge is reading 12.5 volts so I'm assuming it's running solely off the battery.

I've never known an alternator to crap out from just sitting for a bit which is why I'm puzzled. It worked perfect last time I drove it, but now it seems like there's no output. Belt is new and isn't slipping, no noise from alternator, even installed new ground cables.

Is there a quick way to test this out? It's freezing outside and I've got limited tools with me at the new place, most of my stuff is an hour away. What should I look for and what can I test? I've already checked every fuse inside and under the hood, all is good there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
12.5 is not a full battery when car is running, should be above 13.3 to be full.
Cold weather can zap a battery that hasn't been used to start a car in awhile or it can zap a battery that was already not fully charged.

Try to locate one of those cigarette volt meter that displays what the voltage is when the car is running. Just an idea if your tools are limited right now.

Also make sure your wire connections are clean and tightened. Yes it does sound like an alternator issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.