Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went ahead and purchased a Gap II diagnostic tool for my '08 LR3. Awesome little bit of technology that can really help me understand just how healthy or not my truck is. I'm not a mechanic, but I do tackle certain maintenance and repairs that I feel confident I can complete with a reasonably small probability of screwing up such as brakes and a suspension compressor rebuild.
I would like to hear your opinions regarding the ability to update ECU's with the GAP tool. When I scan my truck I see that my suspension, engine, transmission, transfer case and instrument pack ECU's all have updates available.
Am I foolish to do an update if I'm currently not having any issues specific to a given ECU or could the updates bring better performance or resolve any bugs in the existing outdated software.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would be hesitant to do this myself. I do computer repair at a Nuke plant for a living, and I would not trust myself to do that update on a truck I couldn't easily recover from. But, that's my opinion.

·
very disco
655 Posts
I deal in commercial hardware and software applications myself, and we use software and firmware updates strictly to address bugs or compliance regulations. That being said, I got crazy and updated the software on every module in my RRS and encountered zero issues.

·
very disco
655 Posts
I use the nanocom EVO. I believe the tools to be of functional equivalence though I’ve never owned or used a GAP because it doesn’t work on my D2.
The biggest thing is making sure the battery is fully charged. In a perfect world you’ll do the flashing with the vehicle battery connected to an “approved charger” whatever that means.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts