Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my wife is trying to talk me into selling my truck. As much as I hate to do it... I hate to keep spending money on her also. It seems there's always something wrong and needs fixing. Right now I'm battling with the evil engine knock, a misfire on Cyl 1 and a busted coolant bleeder on the upper radiator hose. I LOVE MY TRUCK !!! I really don't want to get rid of it. But looking back if I would have done my homework, I would have not bought an '03 (much less one in the bad VIN range).

So with that being said. If you guys were going to buy a LR for occasional off road use (sand and mud here in S Fl), daily driver, wife and one kid, Which model and year would you recommend? I don't mind a bit of maint but things I have now (drive shaft, engine knock, oil pump etc...) are just a bit too much to keep the wife happy and giving me the check book.

HELP

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you are not real mechanical and if you do not have a dropped sleeve, I would say sell it and save your marriage.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
While I do not consider myself a mechanic, I feel I am mechanically inclined and have no problem working on my truck. I just have a hard time continually telling my wife I need some more money for my truck. As much as she knows I love the truck, she hates to see me dump money into it about once a year for something that cannot be overlooked.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If your goal will be to not out money into the vehicle at least once per year maybe land rover isn't your best option. For reliability you need to look at Toyota. They can be great vehicles, just no soul.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your goal will be to not out money into the vehicle at least once per year maybe land rover isn't your best option. For reliability you need to look at Toyota. They can be great vehicles, just no soul.
I hear ya on that one.... I've had 2 previous Toy's. And older pick up that I beat on and a Tacoma. Both of which I put only oil and tires on EVER. But like you said, they have no soul. After driving my Disco for a few yrs now... It's gonna be tough to find anything that beat the comfort and prowess. I looked at a 4 dr Wrangler and good lord, the interior looked like an early 80's k-car... can't do it!! What does anyone know about the 05 - 06 LR3

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
I've got an 06 LR3 that I just bought Saturday, so I'm not an expert. If looking at one, I'd have it inspected. They have a reputation for being more reliable than discos, but when something does go wrong big bucks can be spent. Expect things like air suspension compressor or springs and control arm bushings. I wouldn't pay retail for one that doesn't have those things already fixed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts