Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

I have a parasitic draw in my truck but it only rears its head when I have a passenger. If I'm in the truck alone and go out and about, my truck starts fine days later but if I have a guest with me, my truck is dead the next day.

Question - where is there a switch in the passenger door that is leaving a circuit open? I've never hidden that I'm a little ignorant to electrical but I do follow directions well enough.

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
I’m pretty sure that the only switch is in /part of the latch assembly.
Have you been able to determine what is staying on ? Interior lights?

·
very disco
1,039 Posts
you might start by removing fuses for systems affected by the pass. door, like lighting.
i don't think these trucks have passenger airbag sensors or anything.

i can't imagine any system other than the door latch which cares about the door being open.
i do however think that if the door was being interpreted as "open" by the truck, then you would get a mislock horn honk whenever you arm the alarm.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna try and answer all of your guys' q&a here so bear with me and if you come up with a ah-ha moment, shout out because I'm dumb on this one. I can turn a wrench all day long, swap engines, heads, etc., but with electrical, I've never really had someone teach me and so I kinda just do what I'm told.

It could definitely have to do with the passenger switch now that I think about it? I do not get a horn sound when I lock my vehicle. Of note, this is my 2nd door lock/assembly on the passenger side and this one is used. This one is the reason I went ahead and got another used - its been in there for a good 6 years. I'm sure it'll poop the bed on me now that I have mentioned it but I did knock on wood before I finished this sentence as I don't wanna pay another 200 for a new actuator right now (need to get my heads tested etc).

It definitely doesn't leave on the interior lights and I don't have a SRS light on, which I normally get when I have a seat-belt issue over there? I admit, I've only had that a couple times after moving the seats all the way back and down when working inside the truck. And to reiterate, it literally only happens after I have someone else in my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
The problem you described which occurs only after somebody was on the passenger seat has no logical explanation, must be something coincidental, can't find any technical reason for that... don't wory about the door switch or actuator, it can't create a battery drain whatsoever unless it's some glitch and the motor in it keeps running after the door was locked but you should hear a buzzing then

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And then Fery comes in and swoops down, killing my rationalization. Tks alot bro.. Serious though, I do appreciate your feedback as I am always looking for it when it comes to electrical. ;)

This damn parasitic draw is so intermittent too. Yesterday it didn't happen. Shut off the truck, popped the hood and checked the fuses under the hood - no draw. I'll keep checking and let you know which one it is - when it happens again.

Cheers,
Michael

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Yes, you'll have to identify on which circuit is the drain then i'll be able to tell you more. Are the battery clamps tight enough ?

·
Expert Crate Digger
206 Posts
The part about having a passenger is when the battery drains is very weird.
Aftermarket radio left on???

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike - Nope, I'm using the stock stereo.

I haven't had any time to work on my truck due to other drama going on (have the heads half off), hence the lack of response here. Will let you guys know what I find out as I'd like to get the heads completely off today so I can take them to a shop for testing etc. If I get them back this week, I can get it back together on the weekend and run it to test this. Sorry for the delays on this eh.

Cheers,
Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts