Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..... and HELP!!!

I just bought a 1996 Discovery. It was a bit rough but fit my med student status/budget. On the fix-it list were several window motors/actuators, headliner issues, and the driver's side door.

The door wouldn't open from the inside and, as the window wouldn't work, the previous owner was having to exit the passenger side. He had taken the door panel off, and had bent the wire/rod a bit, which he said helped.

He demonstrated this and it worked. I bought the Rover and, of course, experienced an immediate disaster-- the door works fine but the engine won't start!!!

There is a small red light on the dash that's on and, apparently the Rover thinks I'm a security risk and won't start.

There was no remote, so I tried the EKA steps advised in the forum by Pascal-- very thorough but, unfortunately, either don't apply to me or I'm just doing them wrong. I've tried the "1,5,1,5" and the "position II" without success. I paid, what most would consider, very little for the Rover but as a medical student-- it was literally my life's savings. HELP!!!

Things that I've considered, in addition to the maneuvers I've just mentioned, are: windows-- a couple are 'shimmed' in the up position (if I remove the shim they passively retract) and the '5th door' (it has some latching issues-- I have to reset it with a screwdriver sometimes before it will relatch).

Any suggestions???

Many thanks,

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
it probably not the window actuators. ive found that few rainstorms with open sunroofs can cause corrosion inside the plugs any of them work intermitently? id di electric grease the plugs first.

·
Registered
72 Posts
try unlocking your passenger door with the key maybe your security is still armed? the light only flashes when armed as best i can think of. if your having drivers door issues maybe its not de activating the security. the bending of the rods is likely the problem. when you replace the window actuator its hard to not bend them (chances are this is the original culprit). when they are bent they get shorter and dont throw as smooth. but most replace the actuators then blame wireing when then still dont work $200 later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts