Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another project Ive been working on in my down time at work...
A customer gave me his old Pioneer AVIC D2 radio. I didnt want to sell it, and I wasnt going to put it in the vette, so the Rover got it.
A little cutting here and there, and its in... Almost. I still need to finish the bottom where the ash tray and coin holder is and wire up the back-up camera.
100 times better than the stock radio, and much better than the flip-up screen radios.

Kind of sh*tty picture but you get the idea

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you have a write up on the procedure? I would like to do the same thing. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
538 Posts
That looks horrible.
I disagree. I think it looks better than a GPS suction cupped to the window with a wire strung over the dash to the cigar lighter. And it certainly looks better than a broken factory cassette deck! A little trim around the outside and a racy video on the screen and you're all set.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks horrible.
Thanks...
I rushed the final paint/body work so I will almost agree with you in the sense that its not perfect by any means. I wanted a better radio and hated not having tunes in my truck while I was making the dash. Ill pull it out and re-do it when I finish the rest of the stereo
Heres a better pic (without the screen tilted):

obababoy- Its an '03... I had to lower the heater controls to get the radio to fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I might eventually go this route as well. I've always felt that the basic factory unit that mine came with was seriously lacking and I like the idea of an in-dash nav unit. What was involved with lowering the climate controls?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I might eventually go this route as well. I've always felt that the basic factory unit that mine came with was seriously lacking and I like the idea of an in-dash nav unit. What was involved with lowering the climate controls?
There are 4 tabs with holes that locate the heater controls. I cut them off and had to epoxy them lower. There is enough of a lip on the stock console to hold the controls (depth-wise) even when moved down about an inch. I didnt have to cut anything behind the dash either. The bracket that holds the ash tray and coin holder does have to be cut to fit. I have not gotten that far yet though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice!!! I'd like to see an instructional write up on this too. I have a Pioneer double DIN AV Nav radio still new in the box, cuz I've been debating on whether or not to put it in the '00 DiscoII or not. Your set up looks SUHWEET!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like your approach, since it would keep me from completely butchering my dashboard. I would appreciate knowing the model number of the radio and any comments you find appropriate about installation and fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
there are many single DIN flip out head units on the market.

You can get them with or without navigation and price differs significantly

This is just an off the shelf pioneer head unit with navigation

Had it for about 3 years with no problems.

Installation can be tricky since you have to run wires to a hard drive and find a space to put it, but you could do it yourself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think it looks awesome, would've totally done it on my D2 but not on my Classic... But to find a radio Bezel for a 95 Classic in decent condition is almost impossible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts