Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just after I praised my girl for being trouble free ... this happens! I should have known better.

I have a '95 Disco 1 3.9. Here's the sequence of events which may or may not be a contributing factor. I know you awesome rover lovers can come up with a good suggestion!

Appx two weeks ago I was coming home from work and the needle was on "E", but the light wasn't on, so I thought, I'm sure it will allow me to wait. going up a rather steep hill next to my house, of course it starts sputtering. so I back down the hill and shut it off. it probably sputtered for a max of 30 seconds, but more conservatively 20. i rode my bike to the gas station, got a gallon of gas, and put it in the tank. it sputtered a little running to the gas station to fill up, but ran fine once the air left its lines.

A week later, I thought I might as well change the gas filter since I don't know when it has been changed last. It had a NAPA p/n# 3161 replacement on it, with rubber lines where the screw-ons were. I found a AC Delco that would replace it, and proceeded with the change-out. the only difference was that after finding the old hose was weathered, I ran to Advance to find another. I got a 5/16" ID hose in stead of a 3/8, but it slipped right on. Again, after the air was out of the lines it ran fine.

It actually ran nicely for a week. Then ... I had to leave for a conference over the weekend (3 days) and left it parked. When I returned, it was running like it had air in the line, or wasn't getting good gas. this kept up for approximately 10 miles. this happened this last weekend. Now, it runs ok, but seems like it is just dragging, like its not getting the power it had. i noticed the steering is just a tad stiffer, and the idle a little bit lower than before. if you hit the gas, she doesn't respond like she use to. It seems like I'm pulling a trailer or deadweight. It still starts right up and idles at a little over 1000 when cold, then back down to a normal idle of appx 600-650 instead of the normal appx 700-750.

any suggestions? should i start by changing the gas filter again?

thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Well the first thing that comes to mind would be that you toasted the fuel
pump. The pump needs to stay submerged in gas while running to stay cool and not over heat.
I would suggest you have some one do a fuel pressure test and verify the pumps pressure.
Worse case, your fuel filter may have allowed some crude to pass thru to the injecters, in which case you may be looking at replacing them.
For what it is worth, especially on older vehicles, never run your fuel guage down under 1/8th. tank.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Do a pressure test first before you start partsing it out.
Good luck,
Mike J.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.