Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on-line looking for a drivers side outside door release, NONE to be found.

Seems they may be the No. 1 failure part for Disco's?

So this leaves me to wonder if there might be a market for a billet steel (Stainless?) version that won't break?

I have a CNC mill and a CAD/CAM wizard, so all I need is a good sample to start from.
I expect it's a mirror image of the passenger side, which is only akin to hens teeth for availability.

Am I on to something, or just missed the ad from the guy that has a thousand in stock for pennies each?

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes!

It's a Rover, not Ferrari.

I think I will take the old handle apart and see if I can whittle a replacement for just the part that is actually broken.

I remember the good 'ol days, when Lucas made the parts and you could buy just what you needed rather than an overpriced "Assembly".

· Registered
95 Posts
I'm with you for those prices they should be made of gold. It reminds me of having to spend $1900 on a USED turn signal switch assembly for a '85 308.:eek:

Before you autopsy the handle check the adjuster rods. If they are too loose the handle can feel very sloppy. Easy enough to check. If the rods are rusted the parts can be had.

Now if the cast handle is cracked then all bets are off. Replace the handle or get creative with the cnc. Good luck.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Casting is cheap in every sense of the word.
So of course it's the .30¢ casting that has failed.

Think I will make one from billet stainless.
Looks simple enough to do on the manual mill if I'm only making one.
Is "Billet" still the rage?

Seems that if this is as common a failure as it appears they might be a marketable item after all.
Say $25.00 ea. in billet stainless?

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
plenty of them in the junk yards around here

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did confirm today that it's only the flimsy aluminum casting that has failed.

So I may indeed whittle a couple from steel.
Looks simple enough to do on the manual mill.
Might even be able to bend it from flat stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.