Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
It looks like the driveshaft on my rover was replaced before I got it. It has grease fittings in the caps. Does anyone know if there are standpipes that would only allow for grease on only one cap?

Mike Russell

Age 20

2003 discovery se

Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
172 Posts
I haven't taken the u joint apart and I don't want to if I don't have to. In one bearing cap there is a grease fitting. On semi trucks (I'm a heavy equipment mechanic) they have grease fitting on the cross and plugs out each trunnion. The plugs (standpipes) keep grease from running back to the cross after use. Text Paper Font Paper product Newsprint

Mike Russell

Age 20

2003 discovery se

Lover of Rovers

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Hey mike
This is a common automotive design and similar to a zerk into the cross, it does feed grease to all 4 caps
Hope that answered your inquiry

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks red. Now I just have to grease them up before everything is put back together. And just so anyone that reads this: the grease seals on universal joints are made for grease to push out. When you grease them, pump till clean grease comes out all 4 cap seals.

Mike Russell

Age 20

2003 discovery se

Lover of Rovers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.