Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Own A 97 Range Rover Dse Bmw 2.5 Diesel
When I First Bought This Vehicle It Was Bad To Start When Cold, And Started No Problem When Hot, Took It To A Land Rover Dealer ,replaced Glow Plugs (relieved Me Of A Wad Of Cash For The Privalage?) Car Started No Problem When Cold.
Couple Of Months Later Car Difficult To Start When Hot,
After Putting Up With This For A Few Months I Now Find Car Is Difficult To Start Cold & Hot , I Have Replaced Glow Plugs Again + Fuel Filter Still No Change?
Does Anybody Have The Same Problem Or Any Ideas As To The Cause :bawling:
Many Thanks In Appreciation Of Your Answers

Ps Great Site :wave:

·
Registered
19 Posts
hard starting

fault pos in tank fuel pump failure
check by switching on ignition and look for bubbles or movement in the transparent feed pipe to the filter or slacken the drain screw on the bottom of the filter and check for fuel flow.

the car will run using the small fuel pump in the injection pump if fuel level is low there is more of a problem

hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.5 diesel difficult starting

I have the '96 2.5 dti model with only 75,000kms, and have the same starting problems with a similar history to what you report. Also have noticed considerable smoke when it's difficult to start. The Rover service manager here (who claims extensive experience) says it is the injector pump which must be replaced (or serviced, but of course that is not recommended by the service department who are always happier to replace with new parts). Before rushing off to spend a quarter of the value of the vehicle for a new pump, I'd be interested to know if you found any other solutions to this problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree with MG-FRANCE,the immersed pumps fail and allow fuel to drain back causing poor starting and the bubbles in the pipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem solved ! it was as MG_FRANCE advised, the in tank fuel pump was knackered!
car starts hot & cold no problem
many thanks everbody for your help
allan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts