Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM has done this before on their workhorses. It's a great idea IMHO. Has anyone done, or seen it done in a Rover? I'm getting my winch soon so I'm looking into any option for power sources, from this crazy idea, to the average dual/triple battery set-up.

I posted this here since this idea doesnt apply to one specific truck and because it mainly has to do with powering up our accessories.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Haven't seen a dual alternator setup for our Rovers yet, however I saw on "Monster Garage", they took an Escalade and ran a second alternator with additional bracket with all belt driven accesories still accounted for. If there is will ther is a way, and one person could custom fabricate something to make a second alternator fit under the hood of our Rovers. But I haven't yet seen a Rover with a second alternator.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Sorry to tell you that it is a common mod for guys running 24 volt winches. They have one 12 volt alternator and one 24 volt alternator. You can get a dual pully for the aircon compressor and run it off of there.

Ian

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
I did not know that. That 24 volt alternator would be pertect for the guy in the thread "Aircraft Landing Lights" to have for the lights he is using, which produce 600 watts of light, and requires 24 volts of juice.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
JC,
That is overkill for the average Rover with a winch. If you want the amps necessary to keep your winch happy, go to dual batterys, Between the normal alternator and the dual amps from a good set of dual batterys, you will have enough amps to run your winch on the hardest pulls and still keep tha winch motor cool.
I did this, it works for me and handles my HID lights, refrigerator and all the other crap I plug into my convertor.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
01001010 said:
GM has done this before on their workhorses. It's a great idea IMHO. Has anyone done, or seen it done in a Rover? I'm getting my winch soon so I'm looking into any option for power sources, from this crazy idea, to the average dual/triple battery set-up.

I posted this here since this idea doesnt apply to one specific truck and because it mainly has to do with powering up our accessories.
I went with a 200amp MG alt, haven't had any problems yet.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Actually a better setup for the winch wouldnt be a parallel series dual battery setup but an actual trailer accessory setup.

For example a trailer with a piston powered dump body uses a separate charging system with a line for charging from the trailer connector.

what you could do is use the same set up and use a deep cycle battery that way it charges the battery when it runs and doesnt need to be used as a starting battery.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
beezel said:
Actually a better setup for the winch wouldnt be a parallel series dual battery setup but an actual trailer accessory setup.

For example a trailer with a piston powered dump body uses a separate charging system with a line for charging from the trailer connector.

what you could do is use the same set up and use a deep cycle battery that way it charges the battery when it runs and doesnt need to be used as a starting battery.
I think what you have suggested is good, but if your winch requires 450 amps at fuul load, one battery and alternator can't supply it all. That is why many people have heating problems while winching, not because of the load they are pulling but the shortage of available amps.
Just a thought,
Mike J.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
24 volt winch motors tend to be more powerfull and quicker. Also the higher the voltage, the more energy you can fit down a given size power cable. You still need dual batteries for a 24 volt set-up, that is, 2 x 12 volt put in series. Most winch competition trucks now run 24 volt winches.

But this thread was about fitting dual alternators. The only reason 24 volts was mentioned was to state that it is a common reason for having a second alternator.

Ian

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
A long while ago, I considered adding a second alternator on my 110. All that is necessary on any pre serpentine belt engine is to get hold of an aletrnator mount from an early Rangie where the alternator was mounted on the right side of the engine. It bolts to the same holes the AC compressor bracket bolts to. In my case, I had removed all the AC stuff so there it was, but as John says, a Mean Green alte will do everything two lame Bosch units will do, so why bother. If it's heavy winching you're concerned about, you are best served with two batteries.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a Mean Green in the mail but i'm working on a 24 volt subsystem on the rover for welder, and possibly the aircraft lights, andanythign else I can come up with to run on 24V( like a badass winch ) Anyone have any links to a rover dual setup?

·
AFIROVER
267 Posts
I have a quad batery set up and love it :D
I am going duel alternators in the spring or when my shop is done
ac unit is bye-bye

:clap:

we have used all four to start a truck on the trail once (the starter got to dame hot after a day of crawing around and would not start after lunch stuck all the bats on it and it started up )and for stuff like winching and welder and big sub box and lights ( 8 x100 watt driving lights go ahead "high beam me I dare you ) inverter ,elec fans and any thing eles i want :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
If you want to impress me,

make a double shaft, go to the alternator shop, get two and mount them on the same shaft back to back.

It will be awesome, even if it blows up.

Adam in NYC

·
AFIROVER
267 Posts
I have the rear seats removed out of ovis and installed a three batteries in a surplus mil-computer transporter box looks like a pelican case on sterouids with a disconect so I can carry it to a disabled truck for remote welding or hook it into ovis jumper cables plug in and so does welder and winch for the front will install on more on the rear bumper once i build it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.