Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My TD5 has been stood for several months whilst I’ve been doing work on it, new cills, windscreen, gaiters and brakes ready for MOT. I came to start it up and the battery was flat so I charged it up and tried again. Now getting a fast clicking noise and dash lights flicker on and off with clicking noise. Tested battery and it’s got 11.9 volts. I tried another battery off a 2.5 diesel transit (12.6 volts) and the same thing happens, fast tapping noise and dash lights flickering. Could this be an earth fault.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
364 Posts
Usually that means that not enough power is making it to the vehicle systems. I’d check connections on both sides of the battery, as well as the ground strap connection to the frame and clean the contacts on the battery terminals - make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. Also, you can’t be 100% sure the battery off the Transit is good - best buy a new battery, especially since the one that was in it is shot.

·
Expert Crate Digger
399 Posts
Depending how new the batteries are, try to deep charge/trickle charge them overnight. Or buy a new battery as stated above.
Batteries can have voltage and no/low amps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for info. The battery off transit is a new battery. I will check connections and earth strap. Let you know results. 👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts