Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, i am frequent visitor to the forums and have a question for you. i have a 05 LR3 that has a very loud EAS compressor so i am going to replace it. i have replaced the drier and the valve already and it is still loud. my question for you is if you know if there is anything specific about the 2005 LR3 compressor that makes me have to get that one made for that year. i know Landrover sells LR045251G part that fits all the LR3/LR4s and some RR Sports. if i find a Compresor that came off of say a 2010 LR4 can that be swapped into my truck with no compatibility issues?

thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
AFAIK there are two compressor models - Hitachi and AMK. The Hitachis were all for the LR3 but I think the LR4 and RRS later got the AMK. A Hitachi unit from any year LR3 should fit just fine in yours although an older one may not be a good bet if on last legs too.

To fit the AMK to an LR3 that had a Hitachi, there are several pieces of pipework bits that come with the kit to reposition some of the outlets correctly. So if you just take an AMK unit off an LR4 you may not get the pipes to line up. I'm not sure if you can get just the adaptors from your friendly LR dealer - when I replaced mine I think the packing sheet had part numbers for each item but that doesn't mean you can buy them outside of the compressor kit.

If you swap out the Hitachi for an AMK unit in your LR3 you should also be changing the compressor relay in the fusebox and getting a software update to the Ride Control ECU as the AMK control logic is slightly different I am told. You can get along for a few days probably but best to get it sorted out.

I'm sure others will be along to correct me :)

-- Stuart

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. the only reason i am asking is i have a line on a 2009 compressor and wondering if i could fit that right up. this is just to get me by until i can buy the new one that they are selling

·
Registered
101 Posts
If it's an 09 LR3 with the Hitachi yes it should replace - there were no LR3's with the AMK until the failed ones were replaced. I think AMK is the only replacement now you can get from the dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts