Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For short version see last sentence...

I got a 2002 Discovery Series II SD model with 118K on it.

When the tow driver delivered it he couldn't even get it to turn. After about 8 minutes he finally got it.

I read the easy/cheap fix about removing the cylinder and grinding it down. I'm not handy, so I contemplated having my mechanic do it for 1-3 hours labor (not sure how long it would take)...

Then my dad recommended the locksmith in town. He said that when his Chevy Aveo needed a key replicated even the Chevy Dealership turned him away...But the locksmith was able to do it same day.

I called and they said $35 to make the key, and if it doesn't turn in the ignition then free of charge.

So I brought it to them, and she sprayed a little WD-40 in the ignition, and slid the key in/out a bunch of times, with no luck.

At this point I am thinking I am definitely wasting my time with this noob!

Then she took my key and brought it into the shop...Did some grinding/cutting for about 15 minutes.

Then went outside with me and no luck - still at square 1.

I then was thinking I was really wasting my time, but at least there wouldn't be a charge, so I made myself comfortable and brewed a K-Cup.

She came back in a second time and did some tweaking to the key.

She went out to the Disco and came back in to her machine.

She spent another few minutes retweaking the key.

I'm getting ready for her to give up and send me on my way, but she comes in and says, "Sir - would like to try it."

I go out there and sure enough worked pretty much 90%. I say 90% because you do have to have the key slightly pulled out and not pushed in all the way....But when it is in the correct position you can turn it off/on a million times with total ease. Problem solved.

$41 because it was $6 for a second key.

TL;DR Take to a professional locksmith. She had 40 years experience. She had to do some modifications (2 or 3 times) but in the end it worked like a charm. If you do take to a locksmith, make sure they have at least 20 or more years of experience. This lady was a member of various locksmith organizations and was highly skilled! :drink1:

·
Registered
69 Posts
As I understand it the "stop" at the bottom of the lock cylinder wears out over time so the key over-inserts. Mine was so bad that I just bough an excellent condition ignition and door handle. I got a new remote/key blank for $9 on eBay and cut a key (go to a real locksmith not Lowes/HD). Works like new now.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Update. Obviously I was wrong when I said turning the wheel back and forth made the key work(that will unlock the steering column though). Since 2015 I too have learned that just pulling the key out a bit allows it to turn. My experience is exactly what the OP said above and I suspect someone is right who said the key stop wears out over time.

Recently I have been pulling the key out just a tad and have had little to no problem getting it to turn.

Mods - I think this thread might be put up as a sticky if a lot of people experience this problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just FYI. If anyone is getting a stiff or stubborn turn from the key in the ignition cylinder you can try spraying liquid graphite in the key hole of the cylinder and work the key back and forth several times Has made an incredible difference in mine. My A/C controls were inoperative a couple of times because of the binding cylinder but have not had any trouble for the past several months since adding the liquid graphite. Works like new!

The spray I used was from NAPA and is called "wgf", which is wet graphite film lubricant. Not sure it is still available because I have had that can for many years. It only takes a little and works in every kind of lock!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just FYI. If anyone is getting a stiff or stubborn turn from the key in the ignition cylinder you can try spraying liquid graphite in the key hole of the cylinder and work the key back and forth several times Has made an incredible difference in mine. My A/C controls were inoperative a couple of times because of the binding cylinder but have not had any trouble for the past several months since adding the liquid graphite. Works like new!

The spray I used was from NAPA and is called "wgf", which is wet graphite film lubricant. Not sure it is still available because I have had that can for many years. It only takes a little and works in every kind of lock!
If the spray is avail now then be sure to Pm me. I would get the one for me also,because i tried fixing all those issues by own without visiting any dealer or locksmith.

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Don't use WD40. It's not a lubricant, merely a penetrant. When it dries or wears off, there's nothing left. Use the graphite. It's made for locks and won't get everything wet. Use it on your door locks, too. Also for home door locks. Sure fixes old ones!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have just discovered that my key will only remove easily if insert it each time with the same side up. If I turn it over, it is hard to get the key to come out. So easy resolution. I just filed a hash mark in the plastic cover on the top side and make sure I feel for the mark each time before I insert the key.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.