Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
96 Disco
152 Posts
I have used the same repair that Ian states as well. But What I find is usually there is a reason the seal is leaking in the first place. Rusted or pitted swivels...which will tear the seal up. Also the preload on the swivel itself may need to be re done.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
rovermech,

The seal in our Disco was 18 years old and, compared to the replacement, was no longer soft and compliant when examined. I've found, in general that "rubber" parts on these vehicles (most brit cars?) aren't as long lasting as on our old American vehicles. We have both Ford and Willys jeep vehicles which have original engine and axle seals (even window gaskets) still functional after 50 years.

p76rangie, don't worry, no offense. I have a very very thick hide (being a boarding school product). The "T-handle box end wrench" design looks very useful but I'd like to actually see one in action. Also, the Snap-on prices are too dear for me.

Cheers, Pavel

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I replaced both hub assemblies thinking it was the cause of the leak when I didn't need to.

Does anyone have a link for the genuine Land Rover Axle Seal ? Also for the boot which is now rotting off from the oil dripping. Is the leak coming from the Swivel ball or the front Diff housing?

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
This is an OLD D1 topic.
Count the swivel balls on your D2

Total = zero

21 - 24 of 24 Posts