Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Discovery purchased in Dec. 2004. I had been driving around with the engine control on sport setting 'since I got it because I thought the regular setting was too sluggish.

When I took it in for an oil change about a month ago it had about 6000 miles on it. I had synthetic oil put in. (The dealership gave me a big song and dance about how this wasn't recommended. I have used synthetics for 20 years with no problems.) Anyway, when I drove away I noticed that the car seemed to run better, quicker. The next night when I could see the green icons on the dash panel I noticed that the engine control was not on sport setting. There was a noticeable change in pep. Now the regular setting seems like the old sport setting. The sport setting seems even quicker than it had been.

I dragged out my service receipt and found a no charge warranty reprogram of the engine computer. The folks at the dealership cant tell me anything about what was done (remapping, curves, power.) I had been considering a powerchip upgrade but at this point I don't know that it would be much different from what was done.

Aside from the added zip and accelerative ability the mileage has jumped from 12/13 city to 14+ and from 13 highway to 16. (I checked this on a 500 mile highway trip.) I haven't changed the way I drive. I have a heavy right foot.

Does anyone know anything about this?

tom m

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
I had the ecu remap at my last service, but it wasn't designed to give you more power, it was an emission(sp?) problem that they had to sort out. Perhaps a placebo effect? I begged for them to do something to help with getting more power, but there isn't anything they can program to change that, and they said they have tried before. Whether or not that is true, who knows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want a little more pep try "Soltron" http://www.solpower.com/soltron/soltronmain.asp

Soltron will give you more power, nasty miles in and around town, but awesome miles on the road trip.

It will keep the motor very clean and ad more power. Clean your fuel system better then anything else on the market. One ml treats one gallon of fuel, Gas or Diesel. :eek:

The pep :rellye you'll never get because of the GEAR ratio, the vehicle is made for Off Road not racing. That is why the deal can't do anything for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.