Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate any and all advice on these specific models or maybe what to look out for!

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
welcome to the forum.

perhaps you could tell us what your expectations are for a new (to you) LR3? 2006 v 2008 is a super vague distinction

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I apologize for the vague topic. It was extremely vague.

My husband and I are new to the land rover world. He's good at maintaining vehicles having worked at a garage before..

We are moving from the desert to a snowy small town and wanted to find something 4wd and can fit the kids (carseats). We have always liked the look of land rovers and were thinking of buying an old one.

We will occasionally be in black ice when we move but other then that, I'm hoping to use the vehicle for more in city driving (it's a small town and I'll just be commuting to work with it (seriously a 5 minute drive).

I guess I'm just wondering what things should I watch out for when purchasing an older land rover?

Later today we will be looking at a 2000 disco 2, 127k mi on it. It has a third row which would be perfect for the kids and of course awd. Is there any specific things to note about this year and model? Any help would be appreciated

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
I have a 2003 D2 and a 2006 D3. I love them both, and they both have their own pros/cons when it comes to operation and service. I think that generally speaking, a D2 is easier to maintain as its systems are older and inherently less complex. that's not to say that a D3 isn't viable.

it sounds like they'll both do everything that you'd like them to do, and my initial response will be that a D2 circa MY2000 will likely have a mechanically lockable center diff, meaning all you have to do is light work to get it locking. the D3 (unless you find one with the HD package's electronically locking diff) will operate a viscous coupling center. either config should be fine for tooling around in the snow and ice, as the most important component of that is driver awareness and tires.

Reactions: Jbolson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What an excellent response. Hubby def prefers a mechanically lockable differential vs electronic.

We are studying up on YouTube as well for things we should do for maintenance right off the bat if we end up loving it when we go to see it in a few hours.

We are debating between that and a 2006 LR3 se. My husband is just doing internet research and is seeing similar information to what you are saying about d2. He thinks that d2 might be more reliable. In your experience, would agree?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case anyone was reading this, we did not end up getting the 2000 d2 :-( had a lot of oil leaking and some other issues. Going to see the 2006 lr3 se tomorrow 🤞

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
both vehicles have their own common issues, both severe and trivial. It's tough to say one is inherently better or more reliable than the other. D2s are known for catastrophic engine failure due to slipped cylinder liners (yes it happens more often than not) where D3 has a totally different engine. if you can avoid/repair the engine, the D2 is probably a great bet, but with that big (expensive) question mark, there's no clear answer.

just know that either purchase will result in joy, anger, pain, and financial expenditure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts