Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

I purchased a 1998 Disco in June, and have had all types of expensive electrical problems ever since - to the tune of $1800 so far.

The first instance was an intermittant issue with the windows and the sunroof not opening/closing. Next the fuel sensor went wacko. After that, the lock cylinder had periodic problems, and finally had to be replaced after stranding us at an out-of-town wedding (and requiring a tow). Then the CD player died. The current issue happened at another out-of-town wedding - the dash and tail lights went out (all other lights work). The dealership (not LR) now says the switch needs to be replaced. (Personally, I'm wondering if the vehicle just has an aversion to weddings....)

Has anyone else experienced electrical problems that seem to jump from system to system? If so, have you found a solution? I think we've just been treating the symptoms, and haven't yet located the source.:shifty:

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Sam. I read in another post that there are four grounds on a LR. Dumb question - where are they located? :dunno:

·
Registered
523 Posts
MBailey:
Land rovers are pretty sensitive when it comes to electricals.In my opinion,go for the cheapest ways,then go rising the expensive scale.First check yourself for any blown fuse in the interior fusebox,then go for the one in the engine.The electrical circuits are usually interconnected,so don't be surprised if a blown fuse marked as "instrument cluster illumination" would also turn one or both your tails off,and with a blown one,if the circuit has more than a fuse in commmon,it may overheat,causing failure too.Look for correct amp in them too.After that,look for bad/wet contacts.First place to look,the taillamps.The Disco l's have a taillamp gasket that if improperly fitted or absent,water may leak in and cause a short/rust on the system.If after that,you don't seem to find an explainable reason,take it to a LR dealer,not to a shop.I don't work or am associated with LR by any means,but I am one of the people that thinks that if you couldn't fix it by yourself,then take it to the dealer.You may spend more than at a regular shop,but they are the ones who know the car better than you and in case something goes wrong afterwards,their work is warrantied without doubt.Don't take it to a shop where what they could do is figure things out with your car.Just my opinion and advice.
Carlos
p.s. Your local LR dealer could also check for recalls that have not been made to your car.I recently took my Disco ll to the dealer for an oil change.I asked to check for the recalls and they found out three still open recalls on the truck,which of course they did after the oil/filter change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank much for the input, Carlos. I appreciate it greatly!

You're right about taking it to a LR dealership for any future problems. The LR dealership did handle all of the initial electrical issues listed in my original post, and the sensor, but not the lock cylinder, CD, or recent light problems. I think that my dealership just didn't have the knowledge or experience with LRs to diagnose and repair it, and shouldn't have even tried.

Well, my husband discovered what was causing this latest problem - the wiring harness in the steering column that connects to the various lights was not tightly plugged in. He snapped it in, and wa-lah, all the lights are working fine again. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem Not Solved After All....

Well, at least the solution lasted for a couple of weeks! :eek:

Again weird things are happening with the lights, so it probably IS the switch itself. Does anyone know if "multi-function switch" is the actual LR part name for turnsignal/lights/brights stem/switch that is on the steering column? We want to make sure we're ordering the right part....

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More Electrical Problems

Here's the latest conundrum with my '98 Discovery - had the serpentine belt replaced a few weeks ago, and noticed the tach was working intermittently afterward. Today the speedometer spiked twice then died. ABS, SRS, and battery lights all came on, and my windows and wipers seemed sluggish/slow. Came home pronto, and when I tried to start it again, got a click-click, then nothing. Half hour later it started fine, and the ABS was the only warning light on, but the speedometer was still not working. Ran fine for about five minutes, then started missing, and died. Anyone have a clue what's going on? My assumption is that its more electrical stuff, since that's what has caused all of the previous problems.... I'm sooo tired of this vehicle - never know when or where the next thing is going to go wrong or how much it's going to cost.:confused

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of all your difficulties. If you stay with it, eventually you will have a vehicle you understand, and will be completely sorted out. If you dont have the stomach for it, and I would not blame you, sell it.

As for your newest problem, sounds like the classic case of an alternator failure. Double check the conections going into the alternator. If good, make sure good batery connections, especially positive side. As for the speedo thing, thats wierd but may have something to do with the fact your alternator is not generating power.

Keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

K12 -

Thanks so much for your kind words, and especially for giving me the key to solve this latest mystery! This time is was NOT my LR that was being cranky! (Poor thing, at this point I'd probably blame it for bad weather or a blister on my toe!)!

My husband took it to the shop yesterday to have the alternator tested, and the mechanic discovered that the new sepentine belt was the wrong size - too big - so the alternator wasn't working as it should - thus the power problems!

It's now up to the parts place and the shop to fight out who is going to pay for the new belt AND the deader-than-a-doornail battery caused by the error. It's funny, 'cause my husband and I had marveled at the fact that the parts place actually had the correct serpentine belt for a LR in stock - come to find out, they didn't after all!

I'm still selling the LR, even though it had no blame in this last event. I'm just plain tired.

Thanks again for your empathy, K12! I greatly appreciate it! :wave:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to hear you are bailing, but you can't be blamed. It is so frustrating when you have a vehicle, which, in principle you adore, however, nontheless, lets you down constantly.

If you like the tough suv thing, try a land cruiser! They have the look and capability, and also have a great reputation for durability and lack of need for maintanance. Take care.

Kieran

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New Issue

OK, I've not yet got this critter out the door (as in sold), and would like to have everything in working order when I do, but every time we fix one thing, another one comes up.

Here's the latest - when the battery was dead due to the serpentine belt issue, the radio re-set itself. Thanks to the info on this site I knew what to do, and called for the code this morning. Thus far haven't had luck entering it, but am following the instructions I found on this forum, so I have faith that it will eventually work. (You all are the BEST - I'll miss you a whole lot more than my stinkin' Disco!)

I now have an alarm-like noise that won't go away - it's that high-pitched one you get when your seatbelt isn't on or your lights are left on. It's not there when you start the vehicle, but starts up about 30 seconds afterward. We've checked everything we can think of, and there are no warning lights displaying on the dash. We've even tried unhooking the battery cables and also removing the fuse to the radio 'cause I'm wondering if the two are related, since my husband said he didn't have that noise yesterday?? ARGH! Any ideas oh brilliant LR compatriots?

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is a long shot..but..
try grabbing the transfer box lever (the shift knob at the front of your console) and give it a good solid pull backwards.
good luck

just had a thought...is the warning buzzer a constant tone, or is it the typical beep....beep....beep?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Sounds like the anitheft

Pull the fuse on the radio. Wait half hour and put it back in. Put in the code and good luck with your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beeping Noise

Well, by following the instructions I found on this forum, I was able to enter the radio code successfully, and that did not stop the beeping. (The noise was exactly what you hear when you don't put your seatbelt on - a constant sound.) My husband pulled each fuse individually (tried the radio fuse - that didn't do it), and #13 - related to the multi-function switch - stopped the noise. Everything now works great. Very bizarre, but that's what I've come to expect from this vehicle.... Thanks again everyone for posting your suggestions!
:clap:

·
SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
Loud Constant Alarm - Solved

Ah...had this same problem over the weekend.

Go to your fuse panel and replace the fuse for "Multi-Function Switch" this will stop the madness. Took me almost an hour of enduring that horrible sound to figure this out. I will run out to my vehicle and give you the specific number and location of the fuse if you need it.

BTW - have no idea why this started but it will make you insane if it goes on too long. According to the manual it sounds like the transmission alarm that goes off when the gear box is in neutral instead of L or H.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Understatement of the Year

Carlos said:
Land rovers are pretty sensitive when it comes to electricals
You said a mouthfull there brother ! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts