Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear reader,

I have a buncha problem with my Disco 1, Electricals:
1. High Beam only left side working (right side dead)
2. Brake lights (tail lights) both working when break is pressed but only 1 light is on (upper) if not pressed. Bottom part of the tail lights are both dead. bulbs are not busted.
Checked the fuse box but seems nothing is busted either. what could be the reason why the above had happened?
3. Last night i have added fluid into batt cells, Disco1 stayed overnight. No problems in the morning, started one click, parked in the office till lunch time but battery is dead. Got help from an officemate to series, went home after an hour again the battery is still dead.

Please help guys.

cheers, :dunno:
royemaun

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Some answers to your questions.....

royemaun said:
1. High Beam only left side working (right side dead)
Check your bulbs and check the filaments. Make sure your connectors are clean and properly seated. Use alcohol to clean the bulbs if you put prints on the glass.

royemaun said:
2. Brake lights (tail lights) both working when break is pressed but only 1 light is on (upper) if not pressed. Bottom part of the tail lights are both dead. bulbs are not busted.
Make sure the molex connector is properly seated into the circuit board. The bulb filament for the running light is probably blown. Clean and replace and use the technique best for testing the bulbs. I usually back up against a wall to see if the lights are working.

Twist pull and clean those electrical connections. Water usually makes the solder connection go black and insulative. Wire brush or rough screwdriver and a file makes quick cleaning work. Before replacement, get GOOD electrical contact spray (the waterproofing kind) and hit your work. Test , check and move to the next.

The bottom part of the upper lights in the D pillars are rear red fog lights, different. Hit the switch left fascia for operation, only when headlights are on.

royemaun said:
3. Last night i have added fluid into batt cells, Disco1 stayed overnight. No problems in the morning, started one click, parked in the office till lunch time but battery is dead. Got help from an officemate to series, went home after an hour again the battery is still dead.
Did you leave your lights on? Are the battery connections clean and secure (they don't move)? Use a trouble light and see if you have juice. Bright is good; you have a poor hi-amp connection. Dim is low capacity.

A car battery tester (big box with a meter) or a used one-piece headlight will do in a pinch. Connect across the battery, if bright no problem there.

Have a battery hydrometer? It can also tell you if the battery is charge by the number of pith balls floating inside and it is cheaper than a voltmeter.

Did you allow time to charge up the battery? Sometimes a quick drive is needed to recharge a flat battery.

Causes, blown fusible link , insufficent charge to battery, battery is shot. check your electrical connections, check and see if your alternator is charging.

If you have a Haynes or shop manual, time to go down the troubleshooting tree.

I think you left something on. If your battery is flat and can't hold a charge, its time for a new one.

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
royemaun said:
Thanks a lot Adam for the pointers, will do that over the weekend. For item 3, i have decided to replace the battery with a brand new one. I got a 48D 26R would that be enough?

Cheers,
royemaun
I would not know. I would suggest something you can grow into, like an Optima Redtop (I know it is expensive but it will last for a while). If you are getting a winch, look at the YellowTop.

Great batterys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.