Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm in Michigan. We've been hit pretty hard with snow and cold over the last few days. We went down to 40 below zero last night. I started up the truck this morning to take my daughter to work. It started fine, but the blower wouldn't kick in at first. Then it did after a few minutes. While I was cleaning the snow and ice off, the truck turned off, and I smelled what smells like electrical burning. I tried to crank it again, but there is no response. No clicking, no turn over sounds...nothing. I looked under the hood to see if there was smoke, but there was none. I opened the relay box and could definitely tell this was the source of the smell. I am wondering if one of the relays burned out, but I am clueless as how to check. All of the lights, wipers, etc come on fine. I checked the battery voltage just to be sure and it is fine as well. I'm pretty certain something burned out in the fuse / relay box. Any tips or ideas to get it back running?
:confused:confused

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
You need to not try and start it, the more you try the more wire harness you are going to burn up.
Call around, find a good Rover shop that is good in trouble shooting electrical shorts, do not let just anyone mess with it or you will be worse off.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I don't know cause I am not there to check it, but if you have never tried to fix a short like this, yoiu will just do more harm.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. You're right. I don't want to do any further damage. I have been out to investigate further. I can't swear, now, that the smell is coming from the relay box. Also, when I turn the ignition, I hear a click from the gear box and a click from under the hood. So, the ignition switch wants to engage, but there is obviously a disconnect between the ignition and the starter. The relays all seem to be in working condition. I usually fix things on my own, but this electrical stuff is beyond my limited scope.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
It is also beyond some shops level so make sure they can handle it without guess at your expense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.