Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a chore is it to change the cabin air filters in '06 LR3?

Also, it is my understanding that you cannot install ram air/CAI unless you replace the mass air flow sensor... Or something like that. Ya?
What about K&N filters? Anyone have/recommend any type of high flow engine air filter?

Thanks!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cabin air is very simple. Drop the glove box, remove the cover, and replace the filter.

Why do you want a higher flowing air filter? The engine can only breath so much, and the factory filter can easily out flow the engines capability. The only reason I would(and I do) use a K&N is due to it being oiled, which will help stop moisture from entering.

Any type of cold air intake, unless it has much more tubing then most do, will actually be a hot air intake. The factory inlet is from the fender, and cool air will enter there. Replacing the air box with a big cone filter or the like, will draw in air that has been in the engine compartment, and is much warmer then outside air.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I appreciate the reply! I'm not considering taking out the airbox, I just wondered bc I have heard those type of intakes help with airflow and increasing gas mileage.

·
Registered
242 Posts
No, they really don't.

A CAI is pretty much just for sound, very much like changing the mufflers on the exhaust. It is not a restriction in the system, so you do not gain airflow, and hence do not gain power. The engine, and atmospheric pressure dictate the amount of air that will enter the engine, unless the filter is very dirty, and needs to be changed, it does not make much of a difference.

For the best fuel economy(keep in mind you're moving a 6,000 pound brick, it's not going to get that good), just make sure the engine is properly tuned up, and keep everything clean. If it is time for a tune up (scheduled at 105k miles, I recommend around 80k or so) I strongly suggest having an induction and injection cleaning service preformed, it will get rid of any build up that causes issues with air flow, and combustion.

Past that, all you can do is adjust your driving habits, which can have a dramatic effect on fuel mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How much of a chore is it to change the cabin air filters in '06 LR3?

Also, it is my understanding that you cannot install ram air/CAI unless you replace the mass air flow sensor... Or something like that. Ya?
What about K&N filters? Anyone have/recommend any type of high flow engine air filter?

Thanks!!

Hi
I work for Fram. Our cabin filters have a qr code you scan with a smart phone and it takes you right to a install video

1 - 5 of 5 Posts