Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm working on getting more horsepower and better gas mileage out of my DII... I think I'm single handedly using up all the gas in my area sooo.. What types of air intakes are on the market that people have used and with what kind of results(loudness, fuel econ, and so on).

How about air filters, I've heard some people say they use the K&N, is that seemingly the only option we have?

And exhausts... what kind have you tried personally. I need real world "I've used this and I think this about "X" brand. I can read about every exhaust under the sun but that won't do me any good in the real world.

How about stronger coil packs, like an MSD style, is there anything like that on the market?

So many questions...

Thanks in advance :drink1:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I have an ARB Safari snorkel w/ a K&N air filter & an NRP exhaust. The snorkel seems to be the only 'bolt on' option for DIIs in terms of "forced air".

The NRP exhaust made a big difference. It's also not as noisy as some of the others on the market. I don't have facts & figures here, I'm going by feel. Since I'm in CO, the "feel" is pretty legit since I'm always struggling up something, on or off-road. Borla & (I think) FlowMaster also make DII exhausts.

I'm not sure about the K&N filter,,,no difference that I could "feel". Plus it blew my mass air. When it's time for cleaning, I'm going to take it out & replace w/ a stock filter. Others, however, swear by 'em.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I just replaced my MAP sensor... I really don't feel like doing that again ;) I'll have to design a new CAI for our trucks then.

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
darkknight1999 said:
Yeah I just replaced my MAP sensor... I really don't feel like doing that again ;) I'll have to design a new CAI for our trucks then.

CAI ?
what is that ?

Anyway . I have a extra Super AFC from my Talon . I'm thinking of throwing that on the truck .

Do LR generaly run rich ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
CAI= Cold Air Intake

If you get one made then i might buy one if the price is good. BTW i saw a gu who just put a cone filter (i guess a k&n cone filter would clamp right on to the MAS) on and then made a heat shield box, it looks pretty good and in theory would work but i did not ask the guy about performance.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Messing around with air filters on a stock Land Rover for increases in horsepower is basically a waste of time. As I have said in the past, the stock air filter is more than adequate, anything else, and your wasting your money, but no doubt this subject will be debated for eternity, well! for as long as petrol holds out. Now if you want horsepower increases that you can really feel, fit a good ignition system such as MSD, Jacobs or Crane to name a few, along with a high discharge coil, again from the same people. Change your spark plug leads to magnacore (if you haven't already done so). After you have fitted these items, to improve on the horsepower you have gained, fit a set of headers. I should know, I've done it.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disco said:
Messing around with air filters on a stock Land Rover for increases in horsepower is basically a waste of time. As I have said in the past, the stock air filter is more than adequate, anything else, and your wasting your money, but no doubt this subject will be debated for eternity, well! for as long as petrol holds out. Now if you want horsepower increases that you can really feel, fit a good ignition system such as MSD, Jacobs or Crane to name a few, along with a high discharge coil, again from the same people. Change your spark plug leads to magnacore (if you haven't already done so). After you have fitted these items, to improve on the horsepower you have gained, fit a set of headers. I should know, I've done it.

Why do you say that??? Have you tried different airfilter setups and done dyno runs? And also Can you post the dyno plots for the spark plug upgrade results. Those I would love to see, because if it really makes that big a difference I'll buy it tomorrow.
I think to say adding a different filter will do nothing though is kinda a bold statement useless you tested them and proven your point.

I would say however adding a CAI, header, exhaust, and a MSD style/type ignition then you should see a vast difference in power and torque... but we shall see. I plan on proving it on the dyno as soon as I can afford to buy the parts ;) of course that will have to wait until the gas prices come back down :confused because damn... its just insane. Cost me $60 buck just to mostly fill it on Sunday.

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
LOL 60 ?

I filled my truck with $70.80 ( :) hey it's almost $1 :) ).

Also I did 350 miles on that tank . and burned 21.2 galons . So I did 16. and change of MPG .
This is a first time I seen this milige on this truck :) .

OH btw this gas staion has the cheapest gas around at $3.30.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah but I still had a 1/3 of a tank left and I didn't fill it all the way up ;)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The air filter 'shot out' has been done many times before, and the results are to be found on many forums. Personally I haven't done it because I jumped into the 'deep end' from the beginning, besides, what are we talking about here? Are we discussing reasonable gains in horse power or are we beating about the bush. Air filter changes alone on a stock vehicle will gain you maybe 2-3 horse power. With regards to the ignition upgrades that I did, I didn't have the vehicle dyno'd as my overall engine modifications were ongoing. Adding to what I already suggested, adding a 'chip' upgrade will add even more hp.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which chip did you use and could you give me the link. I'm going to design a new CAI for the Disco because the thing that's on there now it about as good as trying to breathe through a plastic bag ;)

Also if you could point towards those air filter thread so I could read them that would be great!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
There's a number of aftermarket chip manufacturers, such as Unichip, Superchip, Perfect Power to name a few. I don't have a chip as such, as my engine management is run by Motec.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You run your disco off a Motec ECU stand-alone! DAMN!

Do you have a list of mods you have and the dyno HP and TQ you have so far as well as the MPG if you have it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Actually I run both my D1's with Motec. Here's what's been done in the engine bay on the 95'.

ENGINE : Stroked to 4.7 litres.
Vortech V2 supercharger
INTERCOOLER. Hyperflow
OIL COOLER. Hyperflow
MOTEC M48 PRO: Engine management computer.
FUEL INJECTORS. Bosch 560
IGNITION CONTROL. MSD 6A
TRANSFORMER. Jacobs Accuvolt.
COIL. Jacobs Ultracoil.
EXTRACTORS. Ceramic coated.
AIR COMPRESSOR. Clisby 2.5 cfm @ 1.18 litres/sec
WINDSCREEN WASHER BOWL. Stainless steel.
AIR HORNS. Grand Vitesse 220 decibels.
AIR FILTER. K&N

You can see the MSD in the bottom (far right) corner of the picture. It is water proof.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow that's just nuts... I really don't want to put a blower on mine though. That explains a lot about your comments though. With all that on there is no wonder why you feel the way you do.
I didn't know Vortech made a blower for the Disco... learned something new today... ;)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The supercharger is an off the shelf one, any of the Vortech models would fit, but you need to size it properly. Where it gets a little tricky, is making the mounting bracket, getting an intercooler rad (air to air) made to fit in front of the water one, moving the trans oil cooler to a new home (see attachment), and fabricating the plumbing (stainless steel in my case).

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Great....

Thanks A LOT for showing us that picture Disco.. I fell off my chair and landed on the floor of my office with my flag pole at full mast.... All would have been well if I wasn't in a meeting with my marketing and HR departments...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.