Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I hust got a 200TDi with 104,000 miles on it dropped into my 2.5 petrol 90. Its great to have some power but its not all good.

Its sooo much more noisy than the petrol (unbareable at 70mph)

Its jerky, not nice and smooth like the petrol,

They cut all my spot light wireing and left it cut,

When they altered the bulk head to fit it (Disco engine) they just tack welded some bare mild steel plate in place and didnt paint it or anything.

Diesel is leaking out from under the throttle leaver on the engine

They connected the turbo straight into my snorkle (no filter)

They charged me £10 (over an above the £1500) for deisel they put in!

They used my brand new (not fitted yet) foward facing, folding rear seat to wedge the old engine in the back for me to take away.

So all in all I'm not as chuffed as I thought I would have been. :confused

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
unacceptable

I would go to your local trading standards offce immediatly,as the engine is unsafe and unfit for use on the road (diesel leak is an mot failure and tack welding is not acceptable either must be seam welded) and to my knowledge there is no requirement to alter the bulkhead anyway.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone I've every talked to has said that the bulkhead needs altering to fit a disco TDI in. The turbo on the disco on sits much further down.

Will I need to get that tack welding sorted then before mot time? I'm not sure if I can be bothered going back to that guy cos his attitude stinks and I dont want him fucking this up any more..

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
If you need any I can help if you can get down to carlisle

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind offer Onslow. Its not going to get wround much for the next few months cos I'm deploying to Iraq. But when I come back I'll be attack it full on (with some extra cash I'll have) and get it sorted.

I dont want to take it back to the guy cos he is just a pain in the ass and I dont trust he will fix it properly.

I do have to say though. The engine pulls really well and when its not leaking I'm getting 24mpg even when I'm going down the motorway full throttle for the whole tank.

Somthing else popped up yesterday (causing me to get stuck and then pulled out by a tractor).. It suddenly kept popping out of drive. The Hi/low lever kept slipping back to the middle. There wasnt any pattern to it as it would pop out when power was on and when engine braking. I finally got out of the mess I was in and onto the road and spend about half an hour going almost nowhere as it kept jumping out of hi box too.. After a good waggle in all directions on the lever it seemed to be ok., I dare not go in the mud now in case it jumps out again half way through causing me to get stuck.

Is there any chance this is caused at the time of the engine change?

Also I have a leak from the gear box now. Even with the old 2.5 petrol I've never had so much as one drop of oil leak from anywhere., now I've upgraded I'm just like every other leaking landrover... :mad:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It gets worse!!

Yesterday it spat out the Number 2 injector. The bracket holding it in broke in half. It is drivable but sounds like a steam engine and wont go over 40mph.. plus is srays deisel all over the engine bay. So its now layed up in a town miles from anywhere its meant to be waiting for the guy to send one of his more local mates to repair it. I'm sick of this now.

Here is a list of whats not right with it.

Injector clamp broken, 16th nov
Ticking (pos turbo) 16th Nov
Turbo hose comming off 16 nov
Radiator loose 16th nov
Bulkhead mod tack welded and rusting
Fuel pump intermitant leak, day of fitting
Oil cooler hoses leaking, days after fitting
Engine sump leaking
Gear box leaking

The whole thing has been cash job with no warranty and no recipt. I havnt really got a leg to stand on. Its going to get to the point where I have to physicaly threaten him to get it sorted becuase he doesnt acknowledge that the above problems are actually problems! :mad:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Get that fixed the correct way immediately!!!!!! There are some serious problems goin on!!!!!!! Find someone who knows what they are doing!!!

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
The offer is still open i reckon a good day will have it right nowt worse than a bad job

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for the kind offer. Its going to have to go on hold for a while. I'm leaving the country for a few months this week with work. I cant belive I'm going to miss the UKs first good winter in 20 years!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.