Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: I have a Land Rover, Range Rover 1997. I left my car at the airport parking for two weeks, and now, when I come back, I cannot get the car started. The battery was dead, so i charged the battery, but when I try to get in the car with the key and start it, the display screen says "Engine disabled PRESS REMOTE" . I guess I need to synchronise the remote with the car, but how do I do that. I tried changing the battries in the remote, and sticking the remote key in the door lock and lock the car while pressing the lock button, and unlock the car while holding the unlock button, but still that doesnot help. Any advise? :help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to tow my Range Rover to the Dealer the day before yesterday, and the Dealer says that the whole BECM needs to be replaced. I wonder why??? because the car was just fine when I left it at the airport, and now just to synchronize the key with the car, the dealer says that the whole BECM needs to be replaced!!! This just doesn't make any sense to me! Moreover, I checked it online, and a used BECM is for about $500 with three year warranty, however, the dealer says that he cannot install that part in the car, and the BeCM has to be a new one and he's charging me $2600 for it!!! Any one any advice??? Please!!!!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
You cannot install a used BeCM unless it has been electronically unlocke as AFAIK, there are FOUR people on the planet who can do this.

Tell them to copy the security code from the BeCM into the space in the Engine ECU settings page.

If they are incapable of doing this, send me the BeCM, the ECU and the instrument panel and I can do it for you for $500 plus shipping. There is significant labor in doing it right without having the vehicle present.

If that's not an attractive option, find a local independent with a Rovacom. I'm not confident the Autologic can do it as I get many sent to me where the Autologic was incapable of restoring the vehicle to operational status.

It's probably not the door latch (although that's very common) in this case, it may well have been the radios in use around the airport that interfered with the BeCM's sleep mode which can cause alarm/BeCM problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have any mechanic here who would do that, Moreover, the Land Rover Dealer says that he would not be able to copy the security code from the BeCM into the space in the Engine ECU settings page. Infact they dont co-operate at all. All they say is that My BeCM is bad and I need a new one only then they can progress... I guess I have no other option left but to shell out $2600 for that BeCM!!!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I dont have any mechanic here who would do that, Moreover, the Land Rover Dealer says that he would not be able to copy the security code from the BeCM into the space in the Engine ECU settings page. Infact they dont co-operate at all. All they say is that My BeCM is bad and I need a new one only then they can progress... I guess I have no other option left but to shell out $2600 for that BeCM!!!
Your other option is to ship the truck to me and have me fix it for less. $2600 is almost $1000 more than I charge to do the same depending upon exchange rate and part availability.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i can fix that in 2 maybe 1 sec but im in utah how about this you fly me out thir and i will fix your rover then you fly me to a sf 49ers game you pay for it all and i will fix your rover right ware it sits that shoud be well under $2000.00 Stereo Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ohhh Great!!! Now my Dealer says that, the windows are not working and the passenger side door is locked out due to a bad BeCM and he cannot open it to install a new BeCM. and now the lock needs to be broken and a new lock needs to be installed, another $600 for it!!! I swear, I wont even want my worst enemy to buy such a peice of junk!!! It still surprises me how, just a remote being out of sync can cause such a big issue for a Land Rover. Isn't there any re-call for this kind of thing!!! I am Doomed. I dont know what to do???

·
Registered
36 Posts
bull **** .... i can get your rover started and then whe can go from thir dont have it toed home from the diller i will get it started right thir ones running whe can check out the windewos and the pass door ...... i have a 1995 lr rr and it sat for 5 years be for i came along now it runns fine thir is a fuse box under the hood that can **** the bed and couse you trouble and its like $150 and eazy to install im here if you wont the help all you got to do is fly me out then and then to a sf 49ers game you pay and ill get you rover going

·
Registered
36 Posts
i picked up a 1995 land rover rang rover p38 and the guy that sold it to me just had it siting for 5 years it would not start would not turn over at all so i payed the guy i did not know if would start after fixing the becm to ecm issu but got the right tools to fix it and it fired right up i had to fix some outher stuff on like that fuse box under the hood after doing that the windeos seem to roll up and down faster then be for im here just let me know

·
Registered
36 Posts
dont ship your rover just ship me out there then to a game ill even fly stand by i just wont to go to a 49er game ok just fly me out thit then back home then buy me 2 tickets to the sf 49ers at sandiego game i just picked up 2 tickets and thay like $480 for 2 and a flite is like i wont to say $200 round trip so thats like$680 and your back in biz oka thank about it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Give me your Name and the airport that you will be flying out of. I'll book a return ticket for you and I'll pay you in cash rightaway once the car gets started!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will you really be able to start it or will I have to pay the dreadful dealer afterall??? I am soooo confused!!! Coz I dont believe the dealer a bit!!! How can my car just wont syncronize with the key after the battery is dead and Why would it take them to replace the whole BeCM and programme it anywez, when they can programme my existing BeCM.... it just doesn't make any sense!!! I am Trapped!!!

So, do you have all the tools required to programme it if needed???

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Will you really be able to start it or will I have to pay the dreadful dealer afterall??? I am soooo confused!!! Coz I dont believe the dealer a bit!!! How can my car just wont syncronize with the key after the battery is dead and Why would it take them to replace the whole BeCM and programme it anywez, when they can programme my existing BeCM.... it just doesn't make any sense!!! I am Trapped!!!

So, do you have all the tools required to programme it if needed???
Dealers want to take the easy way out. Their computers won't do a thing if the BeCM is in an alarm state.

Very few shops with Autologic have the ability to disarm the alarm once it's in the alarmed state. I regularly have P38s sent to me after the dealer and local indie shops have given up. The last one that the dealer had been saying needed a BeCM and the local indie couldn't get it going with autologic, I had it running in eight keystrokes...

But StereoSteve, in spite of his atrocious spelling, is better at it than I am, you should have him do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dealers want to take the easy way out. Their computers won't do a thing if the BeCM is in an alarm state.

Very few shops with Autologic have the ability to disarm the alarm once it's in the alarmed state. I regularly have P38s sent to me after the dealer and local indie shops have given up. The last one that the dealer had been saying needed a BeCM and the local indie couldn't get it going with autologic, I had it running in eight keystrokes...

But StereoSteve, in spite of his atrocious spelling, is better at it than I am, you should have him do it.
i can do it in 2 key strokes thank god im not righting a book im just working on cars LOL:buttrock:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Shabbir, The key in the lock won't synchronise if the alarm is armed. The first step should be for you to input the EKA code (emergency key access) at the driver's door. You haven't mentioned if you tried that. The EKA code is 4 digits, the owners manual tells you how to enter it. If you don't have it then a Range Rover dealer can get it for you with your chassis number and vin. He is NOT supposed to charge you anything for giving you the code.

Once you try the code if the car opens and starts etc, then try the remote re-synch.

Now the most likely cause of the problem was all the RF signals flying around at the airport. When your car was built, wifi for example was not that common so they didn't think to screen the remote's RF receiver for wifi signals. Today with wifi almost everywhere it can overwhelm the car's RF receiver. The permanent solution is to upgrade to a new receiver and that should be available on ebay.

If the EKA doesn't work then by all means, call in the cavalry. FYI though, the second most likely problem is that its true that the BECM and the engine ECU can start having communication issues as the car gets older. Its like Windows on your computer, a lot of junk starts to accumulate. You can buy a very simple device called a Synchmate that you can just keep in your glove box. It clears and resets the comms between BECM and ECU. Once ECU and BECM start losing synch they will do it again. If that's the only problem then a synchmate is worthwhile investment. It's only when the BECM gets totally fried do you need a new one. The trouble is as someone already said, not that many people know how to fix it so for them telling a customer to replace it is an easy -and profitable way out.

(Just thought that as this is a forum we should try helping each other. :wave: )

·
Registered
60 Posts
So guys, how did this wind up?

I ask because I am looking at an '03 that is having some very similar problems and the current owner has had enough...enough of having it towed to Land Rover, only to have them struggle with it for hours, download the software from another Range Rover, load the software to get it running...then when the vehicle reported suffers from a low voltage incident, have the entire process start over again.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts