Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.got one problem sorted and another one happens.My 1995 disco 1 v8i 3.9 lpg has started to die when driven.Everything just dies as if you switch the ignition off then most of the time she restarts then dies again 100 yards down the road then starts then dies.Anybody got any ideas or should i scrap it now.getting a bit p***ed off with it now :bawling:

· Registered
12 Posts
Coil?

dizzy said:
Hi all.got one problem sorted and another one happens.My 1995 disco 1 v8i 3.9 lpg has started to die when driven.Everything just dies as if you switch the ignition off then most of the time she restarts then dies again 100 yards down the road then starts then dies.Anybody got any ideas or should i scrap it now.getting a bit p***ed off with it now :bawling:
I would pick up a coil and replace this item, when they heat up they will kill the voltage to the distributer, and shut down the engine. this is a quick easy cost effective try. When it dies does it sputter or just cut out?
It is easier when they die and stay dead to trace the electirical with a muti-meter looking for power and no power. I would start with the coil you will just need to pull the old one and insure that is either has a internal resister or non internal resister and replace.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Engine Dies

When it dies, how easy is it to restart? One of Rovers other problems is the fuel pump and or filter.
You are going to need to do a little more checking before you find this one, and it shouldn't be a major fix.
Mike J.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi.Most of the time she will restart straight away.but last night the battery almost went flat but it did start eventually.All the internal lights/headlights/dashlights stay on as normal!.It is as if you have swichted the ignition off it dies that cleanly.no spluttering/shuddering/loss of power???? :dunno:

· Registered
350 Posts
tomkat said:
I would pick up a coil and replace this item, when they heat up they will kill the voltage to the distributer, and shut down the engine. this is a quick easy cost effective try. When it dies does it sputter or just cut out?
It is easier when they die and stay dead to trace the electirical with a muti-meter looking for power and no power. I would start with the coil you will just need to pull the old one and insure that is either has a internal resister or non internal resister and replace.
Holy crap, I just did this in my Disco, and the difference is amazing! It's always sounded kinda weak, and sporadically kills out at random. So, I stuck a Bosch coil from a VW Rabbit (spare parts from my mate's project car) to test, and it's like someone replaced my engine with something from NASCAR. Thanks for the tip, tomkat! I've got an MSD high-vibration coil on the way (epoxy based instead of oil-filled, prevents the wire wraps from shaking loose), I'll have to post some pics of it :D

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
disco still dying

Just fitted new coil to car and its still dying.Got the RAC man out and he thinks it could be the rotar arm???? Is this possible?????.Its in the garage at the moment and being test driven and its not dying so how can he fix it if its not doing what it has been doing(8 times in 3 miles) :dunno:.I think i will have a screaming fit very shortly if somethings not sorted out.Then im seriuosly gonna think of selling/scraping it :mad:

· Registered
17 Posts
Some common problems I have seen is the fuel pump, the fuel pump harness (connecters at both ends), The vehicle speed sensor mounted on the T-box,
Ignition module and ignition pickup in the distributor. As far as checking. Your technician should hook up a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the pressure while driving. The technician could also hook up a spark tester to monitor spark while driving. A volt meter can be used to check the speed sensor but a good indicator is the speedometer cutting out when the condition occurs.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Engine dying out

Well hello all.Well the problem has been solved now.It was the distributer(sp).the whole thing has gone.so we made the awfull discision to get rid of it.So its now gone and in its place is a Landrover Defender.To be honest the disco was a complete dog from day one.And i for one am glad to see the back of it.It was one thing after another.We could of spent thousands on it and it probaly still would of broke down.But thank you all for your help and advice to try and help us save her!!.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.