Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I am looking at maybe upgrading my '04 DII a bit while I have it apart at some point "soon", and was looking at what I can do to upgrade the coolers while I am at it. I do tow a race car trailer (about 3400lbs) around the Northeast US a couple times a summer (ie, when it can be hot), and want to add a little insurance & make it a little easier on the truck.

I searched & dug thru the forums, and from what I can tell, I have zero engine oil cooler, and a small tranny cooler. There seems to be several people who are doing Universal Engine Oil Cooler upgrades pretty inexpensively. I am a bit lost on the tranny side, though. For the record, I do not know my current temps when towing, but can definitely feel the extra heat when I stop. I am getting looking at getting an Ultragage to monitor those, too.

1. What size engine oil cooler should be sufficient? I see small 10 row ones, but 30 row coolers can be reasonable, too. I'd get a thermostatic one for sure, as it can be frigid in the winter here too.

2. Is there an easy & inexpensive tranny cooler upgrade? It sounds like there are sensors & such tied to the stock one, so I don't think I can just buy a bigger one & plumb in.

Thanks for the help!
~Matt

·
The Old Guy
43 Posts
In actuality, the factory oil cooler(which came on the earlier D2's) is 1/2 the size of the factory transmission cooler. If you look on your front cover, there should be two plugs screwed into the oil cooler outlet/inlet holes. One is above the oil filter the other on the bottom closer to the drivers side. I found a new oil cooler from the 2001 D2 and bought the two hoses and it was basically plug and play. Some members have used a factory transmission cooler for oil cooler. either one will fit right above the factory tranny cooler.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Joe.
I did see people were doing that, but it was looking like a pretty pricey setup due to the factory Rover parts, but then I stumbled on this...

D2 03/04 oil cooler upgrade - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Looks like a pretty nice package, not sure if he would be able to put another one together, but he might at least be able to help me step thru making my own. If I was to go this route, does that always circulate oil, or is there a thermostat control to it (again, it can be -15 in winter)? And I would imagine any cooler is better than none, but is that a big enough cooler (even using a tranny cooler)?

·
The Old Guy
43 Posts
I am sure either Paul Grant or Abran can put together a kit for you. Both have had oil cooler kits for sale. I have not seen anything written anywhere about a thermostat control. I believe any cooler is better than none. As I mentioned, the transmission cooler is twice the size as the oil cooler and both are large enough(in my opinion). They both use the same connection, so either will fit and work. Most engine builders recommend an oil cooler, even tho you will not notice anything on your coolant temps. The oil is cooling parts of the engine that the coolant cooler doesn't really reach, i.e. the crankshaft, rods, cam and lifters. The coolant surrounds the cylinders, combustion chamber and the valves.
I found my cooler and lines on Ebay, and paid the same price as the guys selling the kits. I just happened to find a brand new one and offered 80USD and he accepted.
Everything was already in place, like the holders that secure the lines, threaded holes in the cover, and the cooler slides right into place in between the condenser and the radiator.
I can't say anything about cold weather operation(I live in Texas) but I can't see where the oil cooler would hinder engine operation in any weather. These engines run pretty warm and heat up pretty quickly.
On another note, You could add your own aftermarket cooler and still use factory lines with a little modification, since the ports are already there.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I definitely know oil coolers are recommending by builders, I still can't believe Rover took them off these. I think I will just go the use-a-tranny cooler route. Maybe I will check in with those guys for any additional input, too. I like the straight forward idea of this, as long as it's enough for the effort.

The only time a cooler would be bad is when it's really frigid, but like you said, they can warm up pretty quick I guess.

I'm both excited & dreading tearing into the Rover. Soooo many quirks & expensive parts. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.