Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an automatic 2002 Freelander TD4.
I was on a trip this weekend and I noticed that when I was between 2500-3000 RPM in fourth gear the engine seems to stuck, it doesn't develop...

Even if I floored it on the gas pedal, it just didn't seem to develop.

One of two things would happen, after a few seconds, it would just jump from 3000 to 4500 RPM, or I had to manually go to 5th, speed it up a bit, and then reduce to 4th. Since when I reduced it went to 3200 RPM or something similar in 4th, it would develop normally, but as soon as it dropped to 3000, it would get stuck again.

I also noticed the diesel comsumption really jumped.

Normally I would go to a dealer and have it checked but in Angola you definitly can't trust this guys and I would prefer to go there with an ideia of what the problem is.

Any ideias?

· Registered
1,744 Posts
My bet, after reading your post, is that the throttle cable has begun to fray, causing your 'sticking' problem. Examine the cable closely (at both ends) as sometimes it frays just before, or even, just inside the sheath it goes into.

· Registered
110 Posts
Disco said:
My bet, after reading your post, is that the throttle cable has begun to fray, causing your 'sticking' problem. Examine the cable closely (at both ends) as sometimes it frays just before, or even, just inside the sheath it goes into.
There is no throttle cable in Diesel Freelanders - electrical inputs from the pedal to the ecu - electrical impulses from the ecu to injection system.

There is probably a faulty sensor somewhere telling the ECU to keep revs up - a diagnostic check by computer at a dealer is probably the best shot - I appreciate the issues associated with this.

Gazz

· Registered
1,744 Posts
garrycol said:
There is no throttle cable in Diesel Freelanders - electrical inputs from the pedal to the ecu - electrical impulses from the ecu to injection system.

There is probably a faulty sensor somewhere telling the ECU to keep revs up - a diagnostic check by computer at a dealer is probably the best shot - I appreciate the issues associated with this.

Gazz
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone told me this could also be due to dirty air filters.
In Angola even in the city you get huge amounts of dust, so it is very likely that my air filters are in fact dirty.

I'll see when I can put the car in the shop and if that was the cause I will inform the you guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.