Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All....could really use some advice...my 1999 rover started fine, runs fine and no faults. All of a sudden it died while I was idling...hot night out as well. I called AAA but about 15 minutes later it started and got me home. I started it again today, no problem. 20 minutes of idling and the sport and manual lights starting flashing away at me while the engine kind of surged up by about 500 RPM's. Another hot day and I had the AC on full. I turned off the engine and then tried to restart. It turns over but wont start and the sport and manual lights are flashing away. I also noticed that my GPS that plugged into my aux power supply lost power while all the blinking was going on....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edward

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. Battery connections seems fine.

In reading other posts it seems that the flashing lights may be due to battery not being able to handle the load but I am wondering if the stalling is unrelated to the flashing lights....maybe due to crank position sensor. What do you think?

· Registered
455 Posts
....maybe due to crank position sensor. What do you think?[/QUOTE said:
Replace it, they usually just die but yours might not be totally dead. Cheap too for something so important and known to fail.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the direction...I'm going to order one today and install. That should solve the stalling issue. Do you think the crankshaft position sensor is also responsible for the sport and manual lights flashing on the console? Seems to coincidental that the stalling and lights flashing starter at the same time. Or, do you think it's a battery issue with not holding enough charge to carry the loads which is causing the lights to flash away?

Thanks all!

· Registered
455 Posts
Depends on what codes are on the computer, a good battery, clean connections and an alternator charging is about as basic a necessity to have anything else working properly.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Had a similar chain of events about a year ago.on my 2000 d2 Intermittent m. S lights flashing, then stall out and restart. Then stall out and restart after cooling down. Replaced crank sensor and no more problems with any of it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.